Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Windows server 2003- FTP port

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I don't suppose anyone has used Windows Server - if you can help? At the moment at work there is a server running windows server 2003 - to get FTP access you have to logon to the VPN to get on the correct IP address so that you can FTP in or use remote desktop.

This is how it was setup before I got there- very secure but i dont understand why it was done this way for users in the building.

I just want to allow server users to upload to the server and take files from it. e.g. opening a documents window and using ftp://<ip_address>... and just entering ftp user and pass and getting access.

To do this I have followed google searches and it appears inside the network connection properties, I go into advanced TCP/IP properties and use the filtering properties to add port 21. It then asks for a restart, but I dont know if this will make the server unsecure or even do what I want it to?

Also, the reason I want to just use port filtering to FTP in is because the VPN is so slow on the users machine- it will just crash. I'm not sure if this is an individual profile setting that causes the machine to crash...

Any advice/help would be brill!!

Thnx
Steve

Comments

• Options
    Don't understand what you're trying to achieve.

A locally connected client on the same lan as the server shouldn't need a vpn or port filtering, it should have ftp port access unless you have a firewall in place somewhere specifically preventing it.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Don't understand what you're trying to achieve.

A locally connected client on the same lan as the server shouldn't need a vpn or port filtering, it should have ftp port access unless you have a firewall in place somewhere specifically preventing it.

I don't know why a VPN has been setup, apparently there is no firewall. It is used primary as a web server.
    it should have ftp port access unless you have a firewall in place somewhere specifically preventing it.

Exactly, how do I enable ftp port access?

Steve
  • Options
    If you're saying that they are on the same network but you can't get ftp access unless you use the VPN, then you'd probably only be able to get around that by making the ftp server listen on the general LAN address range, as it sounds like it's not doing at the moment. Difficult to say otherwise.
  • Options
    If your trying to do this inside the network - why not try mapping a network drive?

I'm confused.
  • Options
    If you're saying that they are on the same network but you can't get ftp access unless you use the VPN, then you'd probably only be able to get around that by making the ftp server listen on the general LAN address range, as it sounds like it's not doing at the moment. Difficult to say otherwise.

Thank you. I'm just unsure how I go about this- well I'm not confident enough to know I have done the right thing or am doing the right thing.. Could you give a pointer to what settings I should definitely change?

Thnx
    Steve
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm just unsure how I go about this- well I'm not confident enough to know I have done the right thing or am doing the right thing.. Could you give a pointer to what settings I should definitely change?

Thnx
    Steve

It depends on what ftp server you're running.

Someone's already mentioned mapping a network share, which would be much easier.