Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Whaling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7099720.stm

I know there has been alot of controversy surrounding Japans whaling. Do they really need 1000 whales for 'scientific research'? Why are they so stubborn to keep doing it if they're not making profit? I don't really know much about it so I'm keen to see what you think of it.

Comments

• Options
    Its silly, scientific research really means the Japanese government want it done because its traditional, despite the fact Japanese people would rather eat meat like beef and they have to heavily subsidise the price of whale meat to get people to buy it.
  • Options
    I think a lot of it has to do with making a political statement, a defiance of anti-whaling nations, the research is just a fig leaf.

Interestingly enough, whale meat apparently tastes pretty disgusting (and that's ignoring the levels of mercury in it that probably make it equivalent to eating poison). Friend of a friend works in a Japanese school, and one day, the lunch was a mystery meat. The kids didn't know what it was, most were spitting it out over their desks. But because it's so disgusting, it doesn't even sell that well, so sits in warehouses (never mind the unprofitability, it's something the government heavily subsidises). So no one eats it, (I think the newest idea is to put it in pet food) but the same people will furiously fired up if you question their right to hunt for it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I read a news story once about a Chinese Military ship ramming a Japanese whaling vessel for being in Chinese waters. It made me laugh alot.

I am opposed to Whaling, we should just send subs to go and sink Japan's whaling fleet.
  • Options
    There is a simple solution to whaling ships

torpedo22.jpg
  • Options
    I cant really see how it is diffrent to killing any other animal?
  • Options
    Aren't whales an endangered species?
  • Options
    Well it's an endangered species. It's not as bad as it's been in the past (only down to anti-whaling laws) but they're still a protected species.

I'd have a lot more respect for them if they'd just admit why they want to do it (tradition) rather than coming up with some phoney, bullshit excuse. It's like the people who claimed that fox-hunting was actually about pest control, rather than having a nice day out riding horses and killing small animals. Fair enough, we might disagree, but at least have the balls to admit that you go hunting because you enjoy it and no other reason.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »

A) They are protected and they may well die out if we kill too many

B) They aren't used for anything, the meat just sits around because people dont want it and they dont use the whale for anything else
  • Options
    If they can only be sold with subsidy, surely the answer is to let people hunt whales, but remove the subsidy. That way people can hunt whales, but won't bother if they're not making money.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »

To me, its the way that they are killed.

The whales are not neatly dispatched with a 'bolt to the brain' as cattle are in an abattoir, but are harpooned with an explosive head which can hit the animal anywhere - causing huge pain and suffering - before it finally drowns or succumbs to blood loss.

Its a nasty, cruel way of killing an animal but these are highly intelligent and sensitive creatures. The Japanese ought to be ashamed of themselves. The Norwegians ain't that much better, come to think of it.
  • Options
    If they can only be sold with subsidy, surely the answer is to let people hunt whales, but remove the subsidy. That way people can hunt whales, but won't bother if they're not making money.

This is far more of a cultural thing than a business thing, Japanese leaders want people to eat it because they think its part of their culture - the people however realise it tastes like crap and dont want it.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    This is far more of a cultural thing than a business thing, Japanese leaders want people to eat it because they think its part of their culture - the people however realise it tastes like crap and dont want it.

So it wont sell and without a subsidy, it won't be worth hunting...
  • Options
    if they're reosrting to using it in cat & dog food and school dinners, well they're killing too many