Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why Do I Feel As Though I'm Getting Nowhere?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I self harm and have done for the last 11 and a half months. Anyway, in August I finally went to the doctor and asked for some help. He told me things like: 'I'm not just going to give you some pills and tell you to come back and see me.' He refered to me to someone. I had to wait until the start of November to see the CPN (which I wasn't happy with) and she seemed more interested in my future than actually helping me. She told me that she was going to refer to someone else to basically help em with work. (which I'm already getting, due another problem I have)

What do I do now? I refuse to go back to the CPN, because she was useless and I felt worse after I saw her, than I did before.

I'm starting to get worse as well now.:crying:

Comments

• Options
    If I was you; I would go back and see a different GP.
    Get your second opinion.

While your first opinion was a good one; its a good job he isnt just going to prescribe you some pills and write down that your sorted, he wouldn't be doing his job properly.
    A second one is no harm; and explain that you are not happy with the actions which have happened since the August appointment and you feel like you need to go down a different route or a different approach to it.

You are right; not the GP.

Nobody knows you and what you need better than yourself; so trust yourself.

Best of Luck x x x
  • Options
    Have a think about what you do want them to do too as I expect the first things they'd usually do would be to give you pills and/or refer you to the cpn...
  • Options
    Or try going back to your GP and explaining that it's not working.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Have a think about what you do want them to do too as I expect the first things they'd usually do would be to give you pills and/or refer you to the cpn...

I got told they wouldn't just give me pills and then refer me to the CPN because it's possible that I may overdose on them. (which I've done once, but that was an accident and that was years ago)

I don't actually know what I really want, tbh. It would be nice to get to the stage where I don't feel the need to self harm after arguing.
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey Melian,

It can be extremely frustrating when it seems like you’re going round in circles being sent to endless consultants, doctors, and psychiatrists. You have done the right thing in seeking help, but it may take some time to figure out what is wrong and to start fixing it.

Like Ashlee said, the doctors wouldn’t be doing their job properly if they just prescribed you some pills and sent you on your way. Self harming is often a very complicated and deep rooted problem which doesn’t always have a quick fix.

If you are not happy with the help and support you are receiving then communicate with your doctor. Let them know that you’re getting worse and not better and ask how you can get more support. If you don’t want to speak to your doc then you can always contact the self harm helpline (0117 925 1119). Also, if you would like to talk to someone about the situation or would like to work through your own feelings, you could call SANELINE on 0845 767 8000.

There’s some useful stuff on TheSite.org that I think you might find helpful. Read about other peoples experiences of self harm and check out our article on stop self harming.

Hope this helps :thumb: