Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to meet a girl

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a werid one. I've had a number of girlfriends in my time. Yet i've never mastered the inital stages, how to find a girl who is interested in me. Most (99%) of my girlfriends have been met on the internet. I've never met a girl in a club or pub EVER, only ever had one gf from college and don't really know how to do it. I go to clubs with friends, i chat to girls, get to know them, have lots of girl mates telling me i deserve a nice girlfriend. But i duno how to even get one.

It's the one thing that troubles me the most, everything else in life i work for, i've got control over, i can change and do something about. But this, it gets me down as i feel there is nothing i can do. I'm a nice guy, i go out, i get on well with people, yet i have never managed to meet a girl in a club and have her like me or kiss me or well anything.

So any advice/tips? Is this the one thing in life i have no control over? I duno what to d0 :(

Comments

• Options
    The solution - don't actively look for a girlfriend. Desperation comes across very strongly, and it's extremely off-putting. Instead, just wait and bide your time.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Be cocky wihtout being arroagnt, don't be 'nice'!]
    Don't be soft. Cheeky and charming go along way.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

:thumb:

You know whjat the craic is, it's a hard thing to get right but when you get it. Bang, rewards are there. ;)
  • Options

I've never understood that. That always seems like a paradox to me. I doubt it's all that accurate anyway as different women like different things.
  • Options
    Well i've never met anybody i would consider having a relationship with at a club. The best relationships i have had were by meeting friends of friends and going from there.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The solution - don't actively look for a girlfriend. Desperation comes across very strongly, and it's extremely off-putting. Instead, just wait and bide your time.

This is true.

Skive also makes a good point as well.
  • Options
    Well i've never met anybody i would consider having a relationship with at a club. The best relationships i have had were by meeting friends of friends and going from there.

Not stalking you, I promise but :yes: to that statement.
  • Options
    You could always go places that girls tend to be... Like go to shops and pretend to need help picking out a present for a female relative or something like that.

Ask around your friends and see if they know anyone they could set you up with.

Just practise getting talking to people when your out and about doing day to day things... like at the bus stop or something. And practise catching girls eyes when your walking around in general.
  • Options
    Be cocky without being arrogant, don't be nice... Don't be soft. Cheeky and charming go along way.
    If you substituted the word "cocky" for "confident", I'd agree with you. However, it's a very fine line between the two. There's little doubt that women do like to see a bloke who's confident with himself, but there's a lack of clarity as to what this means. Being confident means being a person who's comfortable in his own skin, and someone who can take the piss out of himself every now and then. A bit of self-depreciation can go a long way. What being confident does NOT mean is being this bloke who constantly goes on and on about himself, who doesn't listen to other people, who boasts relentlessly about his own wealth and sexual prowess, and who happily dishes out criticism, but flies off the handle if anyone dares criticise him back. Nothing's more off-putting than a person who constantly drones on about themselves. I think that's true for both sexes.

Now, with my not being a Casanova-type figure myself, (just take one look at any of my profiles in my signature to see the evidence for yourself) I hesitate to write the following. However, if you want at least a chance of success with women, there's three things you need to remember. Firstly, make plenty of eye contact. Unless she's a prostitute, she's not going to be happy if you spend all your time looking towards her cleavage. Second, listen carefully to what they have to say, and try to respond constructively. And third, don't invade their personal space.
  • Options
    Not bad advice SG, though I think you have a different understanding of the work "cocky" to the one I have. Being cocky isn't talking on and on about yourself, it's basically being confident and a bit of a cheeky joker. What you're describing is less being "cocky" and more being "a cock" ;)

But yeah, Skive summed it up perfectly. Nice is dull. Or, rather, nice is for later on in the relationship (if, indeed, a relationship forms). A bit of bravado and bantering back and forth is what's needed to set things in motion. Before the "nice guys finish last" whining starts up, most of these cocky blokes are perfectly nice... they just know when to play up their niceness and when to play up their confidence to have them front and centre in a girl's attention.

As for eye contact, even a prostitute probably wouldn't be too thrilled if you spent the entire time looking at her cleavage. Though she'd probably turn a blind eye since you're footing the bill ;) It should go without saying that you should be making eye contact, being quite strong-willed and... yourself in conversation and interaction.

By no stretch of the imagination does the best looking guy or the fella with the best-honed Casanova skills always get the girls. The stand-out favourites of my exes aren't the best looking or fittest (in fact, I'm sure they'd forgive me for saying they were fairly "average" looking by anyone's standards) but they were confident, had good craic and... most importantly, went in for the kill at the right time. You can set up a situation really well but, crucially, if you fail to actually make a move then you're fucked. Not in the good way...
  • Options
    Girls tend to like a bit of cockiness, shows value, just not self obsessed ignorant and arrogant cockiness. When i used to go out on the pull i'd be a cheeky gentleman, very polite, treat them like a lady, but also a little cocky. Some of it was cheesy but it worked...
    Can you explain what you mean by "value" there? I'm not sure I'm quite with you.
    briggi wrote: »
    Not bad advice SG, though I think you have a different understanding of the work "cocky" to the one I have. Being cocky isn't talking on and on about yourself, it's basically being confident and a bit of a cheeky joker. What you're describing is less being "cocky" and more being "a cock" ;)
    I'm just surprised to find my advice not being slated for once. :p Our definitions are probably different, but our opinions are the same. On the point of being cocky, I'd say a little of it helps, but as ever with these things, it's about doing it up to a point.

Also, it's not my place to speak well of Kermit, but he wrote an article for TheSite about a similar subject to this. Anyone wanting to find a girlfriend should read it. He's married by now, so he must have done something right, after all.
  • Options
    It should never be that complicated to meet someone.
  • Options
    welcome to life
  • Options
    Oh, I'm not a participant. Just an observer.
  • Options
    Just be sociable. I can't stand this whole walking up to a girl in a bar thing, which is the context it's usually put in. It means that she's on the defensive and judging you straight away, and to me it's a bit "please can I talk to you," whereas just chatting to the people around you is more casual, and then any flirting just comes more naturally after that (which is what I think most people who are successful do). I prefer to do the same sort of thing I'd do at a party and just talk to people, whether I fancy them or not. If one of these people happens to be a girl I fancy, then I'll try and take it further. If not, I've had a laugh with some new people. New people who will then introduce you to their friends the next time you see them. Also, it's quite a good way of judging whether girls are interested in you or not, without it looking like you're trying to pull every girl in the bar.

I can't fault what everyone else has said, but it is really about working out what works for you and what you're comfortable with, because if you're not comfortable, then you're not gonna come across well. For me, it's basically what everyone's said, but in the context of a party, or being introduced to someone, rather than going up to a stranger. And the more you go out, the more you get introduced to new people, who will introduce you to more new people, who may be hot, female and interested. Of course that doesn't mean if you just happen to be stood next to someone you like at the bar, or accidentally bump into someone on the dance floor, you can't go with it, but I'm not into the whole thing of going up to someone purely with the intention of declaring your interest in them.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Not stalking you, I promise but :yes: to that statement.

arent my posts about the alternative uses for grapefruit juice worth stalking?:crying:

i think its kinda a loose loose situation in a club, if he buys you a drink then it looks like he only wants one thing...but if he doesn't then he looks like he's cheap.
  • Options
    I've met people in bars. It's not ideal, but they are the same people as if you met them in any other venue.

You do have control over meeting people.