Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The implant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm having this fitted on Friday (as I cant take the pill anymore) and would like any feedback, good or bad, and especially if you have/have used one and have polycistic ovaries as well.

I really dont like needles/injections but for three years non-stop contraceptive cover I can bear it.

Comments

• Options
    Tell them you don't like needles etc. when you go in and ask them to tell you to look away when they do it, I found the thought of them doing it a lot more bearable when I didn't watch and they just said "thats it, all done" at the end so I didn't get too anxious as I hate needles too.

I've had mine since June and I've foun that I have unpredictable weird periods because of it (although I did have these when I was on the progesterone only pill too, they said it wuld go away if I changed to the implant :impissed: ). I actually keep meaning to ask someone if its going to go away because its not cool, I've been having a period one on and off for the last 2 months+ or so now in some form, mainly like its the first day of my period constantly. I'm the only person I've spoken to whos had this problem though, most people seem to say it stops their periods altogether. I didn't have any other side effects at all.

Me and hormonal contraception don't seem to be the best of friends tbh :(
  • Options
    I changed from microgynon 30 in July to Implanon and I've had no problems with it. I had a heavy period when I finished my pill (because of the date of the implantation I had to finish 2 weeks worth of pills) but I think that was more to do with the withdrawal of the pill than the implant. I had a small period EXACTLY a month later but I've had none since.

It was sore in my arm for the first few days and on the first day I couldn't move it and it was very bruised. It meant I didn't have to cook dinner though ;) but it's fine now. I really don't like touching it, and the thought of having it done made me feel really queasy, but I knew it was the right thing for me to have done and so I just didn't think about it.

When they put it in, they pulled my arm right back, wiped it with anti-whatever stuff and gave me a local anaesthetic. The nurse held my hand (which I squeezed REALLY hard!) and we had a loud conversation about where I lived while the doctor stuck a fuckoff needle in my arm. It was painful, but more of a pressure pain than a "this really is tearing a hole in my arm" type pain. It hurt when the anaesthetic wore off. The pressure bandage they put on it hurt more as the fibres stuck to the bloody bit and pulled on the wound whenever I moved :(

I've had no problems since, though. I'm always prepared for a random period but so far I've not had any. :)
  • Options
    been on it since january, and apart from spotting for a few months i've not had many problems apart from the loss of my periods...:( even though they are horrible, i do miss them...
  • Options
    I had it done yesterday, so far so good. It hurt a bit having it fitted but nothing as bad as I expected. My arms still quite sore/achy and it feels a bit weird when I move my arm sometimes, I can feel the implant in my arm moving as well, but that should pass.

I didnt having bleeding on the mini-pill, which I loved as my periods even on the combined pill could be horrendous, but I'm already prepared for one.
  • Options
    I've had mine in for about 18 months, and dreading getting it changed, as I hate needles too... but who loves them?!

I've had no problems with mine, it was a little tender for the first day, and have unpredictably timed periods, but otherwise it's fantastic!