Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dating websites

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
has anybody ever used one?

my friend suggested i use one because i can't find a right man out there for me!

theres nobody nice at work and you dont really meet nice people in nightclubs and stuff. i pull but they are usually after one thing.

ive never considered using one as ive always thought that they are rather sad and would be so embarassed if anyone i knew found me on there.

for those that have used one, what are they like?

Comments

• Options
    I used them briefly a few years ago. Both guys I dated were very bad communicators and very introverted with little sense of humour (I put that down to bad luck) so I stopped.

I'd say try it out, take it with a pinch of salt and don't expect to find your future love on there. Another forum I scout has a lot of women who date online, and they get very hung up and upset when they see the guy has logged in again looking for new women to meet, or they change their preferences etc. If you're the type that gets very paranoid etc, steer well clear.
  • Options
    I've used a few, but I'd never trust them again. All the women I met were VERY overweight which isn't neccessarily a bad thing but they always described themselves as "about a size 14". This made me think if they'd lie so blatantly about that, what else were they going to lie about?

It's a shame people have to resort to tacticts like that but it's the reason I don't use such sites anymore.
  • Options
    I think dating sites work better if they are based on something specific - Once I came across a dating website for people of Greek Origin and was quite interesting - because the people had something in common to begin with I think each would have been more serious when it came to meeting people.

I think the more general the website the less serious the people are and if it's a totally free website then you also get the people that are just joining cos it's free - I think if people have paid to use a website then they're more likely to be genuine about meeting someone.
  • Options
    They tend to be very cruel, so don't go into it if you have low self-confidence and your self esteem is likely to take a battering. If you can treat it as a bit of fun, until the guy you really like comes along, then you should be OK.

Sadly there does seem to be a lot of men on those sites that are only interested in how many pairs of knickers they can get into. Some of them are predatory, some of them are just so socially inept they don't know how to have a proper relationship, but there are an awful lot of utter fruitcakes on the websites.

Even in London, where most people are too busy to date properly, there seems to be a lot of loonies and losers. There are some good people, too, though.
  • Options
    I met my fella off one. My bro met his wife off one. A mate met his wife on one, so they can work. But you have to filter out the riff raff quite a lot as well, as most of the men are only after 1 thing.
  • Options
    If you are a Christian then apparently Christian Cafe is a good one, I know a married couple who met on there a few years ago.
  • Options
    I don't think there's anything sad about using dating websites. People meet each other through the Internet all the time nowadays - it's pretty commoplace. I've met quite a few people from this forum, for instance, and I'm not alone in that. By all means use dating websites.

I would suggest going for one where you have to pay a subscription. By the sounds of it, you're looking for a partner. I reckon that, on a website where people actually have to fork out some money, you are going to find fewer people who are only after one thing. Whether that's true or not, I would love to find out.
  • Options
    I went on a few last year, mainly because I was bored. I went on faceparty, which was rubbish. It's not billed as a dating service, but it basically is.

Then I went on one called loopylove which a friend told me was a laugh. It was ok. You get a bit overwhelmed with the amount of messages you get though. Seriously, if you are a woman, you will get LOADS of messages. I didn't have to message anyone myself.

Then loopylove automatically signed me up to another one, called girlsdateforfree. Such a cheesy name. As it suggests, women don't pay but men do. I whiled away some time on there chatting to a few guys, then one day on a whim, after chatting to one guy, met him for a drink. That was almost a year ago and we're still together. :)

Dating websites can be annoying but they can be fun. Oh my friend is with a guy she met on OKcupid, she recommends that. I find it quite funny that I met my man on that site, but it's good, as I never would have met him otherwise, and he is great, and lives quite close to me. So I'm all in favour. It's hard to meet people nowadays, especially if you don't want to do the whole bar/club thing.
  • Options
    reckon I would use one if I was looking for a bloke and wasnt having any joy. Go for it mate! again, a mate of mine married the dude she met on a web dating site, so who knows!
    bet there are a load of fools on there too though-but we meet them all the time anyway :lol:
  • Options
    I met my boyfriend on a dating website, we are still together 1 year and half one and he is the love of my life! I definitely would say don't pay for a dating site, there are free ones out there and it's not worth paying for one unless you are very keen. If you'd rather just browse and message a few people (like I did) try a free site!

I can understand the negative stigma attached to dating sites, there are unfortunately people out there who lie on their profiles and there is never any guarentee you will meet someone perfect for you. However, just like meeting someone random in a bar, you sometimes just have to take the chance! I feel so lucky I did, I didn't have a problem with meeting men I just became quite shy and wanted to try something different.

Whatever you do, always stay safe. No matter how old you are, where you're meeting...always tell someone where you are going, arrange someone to ring about an hour after you meet so you can let them know you're ok. Or just bring someone along to see you're ok, if the person is genuine they won't mind! :)

x