Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dyspraxia and driving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is probably in the wrong bit lol but anyway:

I'm dyspraxic, so I can't multitask a lot, forget my lefts and rights and have poor coordination. I know that's going to cause problems when learning to drive - however in the first place, is there any dyspraxic people on here who have succesfly learned to drive, and how did you do it, what problems did you have etc. I am desperate to be able to drive, having lived with my Mum who can't drive, i know how inconvenient it is not to be able to.

A friend said I may as well have a couple of lessons just to see if I could do it, but I don't think I'd find an instructor that's patient enough?

Comments

• Options
    Have a go, if it doesn't work you can always go with an automatic.
  • Options
    Friend of mine passed her test in an automatic and she had similar worries, so it's not impossible. As Ballerina says give it a go and see how you find it, you always have the option of just doing an automatic test if manual is too much for you.
  • Options
    Go for it.

Any of your friends learning to drive? Try and get a recommendation of a good instructor, one whos patient etc.

I managed to learn to drive just fine, and various people consider me a very good driver. I can't tell left from right, so my instructor and I quickly came to a 'my side' and 'your side' arrangement, and if he said left or right I just clarified it.

ps. I learnt on a manual, and would recommend it. You have a lot better understanding of what you're doing and how the car will respond. Definitely try a manual, if it's really not working then ask your instructor about automatic instead, but try the manual first.
  • Options
    Probably best with health I think.
  • Options
    You won't know until you try, so follow your friends advice and have a few lessons to see what happens.

TBH I'm more concerned about another f-ing woman driver... :p
  • Options
    welcome to thesite dyspraxic club!

i can drive in a field, but haven't tried on roads...

find a driveing center that has use of a private area which is off road and you can drive on and learn to park where you won't have people beaping at you