Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why do they give you extra clothes to try on?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've never understood this, if you only have 1 or 2 items to try on in fitting rooms, why do they always give you some random things to take in there too? What's the point?

Comments

• Options
    In case you buy it
  • Options
    I can't say that's ever happened to me, but yeah like Jarvey said, I'd assume it's because they pick things that are similar to what you're trying on, hoping that you'll like them and make a purchase.
  • Options
    In case you buy it

but they just hand you anything, any size and its usually wrong
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    but they just hand you anything, any size and its usually wrong

Lol ok then, maybe they're just bored and want you try on something that looks really stupid. :p
  • Options
    because some changing rooms have rules about how many items you can take in, so that if everyones taking in say 3 items they know if anythings being stolen.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Lol ok then, maybe they're just bored and want you try on something that looks really stupid. :p

lol maybe
  • Options
    I've never had the wrong size given to me, but they always seem to want to try to give you at one particular store. It's usually evil too because I end up trying them on just to see and they always look so ridiculous on me :p But then they often have weird cupons where if you try on their new style of pants you get like $20 off your purchase or some such. I'll gladly get given random clothes then.
  • Options
    because some changing rooms have rules about how many items you can take in, so that if everyones taking in say 3 items they know if anythings being stolen.

yeah thats what i always thought. i guess its easier for everyone to take in 4 items then trying to remember what each person had (assuming they dont give you those number card thingys).

if everyone takes in 4 things and one person comes out with only 3 then obviously the other one might have been nicked. im pretty sure its not to make you buy the clothes.
  • Options
    I've only had it when they've not had the right number tag thing, so they've given me a tag thing for more and then given me random clothes so it comes th to right number.
  • Options
    only time i've had that is if the top im trying on needs a tank top, blouse, jacket or other such piece of clothing to make it look better.

I think i'd hand anything else back to them and say "no thank you"
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I can't say that's ever happened to me, but yeah like Jarvey said, I'd assume it's because they pick things that are similar to what you're trying on, hoping that you'll like them and make a purchase.

Yeah, cant say its ever happened to me either. :D
  • Options
    its just to make sure everyone who goes into the changing room has the same amount of clothes, therefore easy to see if something has been stolen, without the need for those little cards
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Yeah, cant say its ever happened to me either. :D

Lol I was trying on clothes today and I almost waited for the girl to give me some extra clothes because of this thead, but nope....nothing.
    Must be a midlands thing... ;)
  • Options
    I have worked in a high street clothes shop and it was a security thing as mentioned above, if everyone is in and out with the same number of clothes its easier to track, not that that would stop a thief who knew what they were doing! Maybe in head office the idea is a sneaky way of getting you to take in more too, but we were never told to pay any attention to what we handed to them. I also think there is a psychological element to it, a way to sway any shoplifters if they go through a 'manned' changing room situation
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I've never understood this, if you only have 1 or 2 items to try on in fitting rooms, why do they always give you some random things to take in there too? What's the point?
    I always thought it was coz you have to have set items to enter so you come out with the same as everyone else. Its to prevent things being stolen.

So every one goes in with 4 items and comes out with four items, saves buying those disk things with the numbers on.
  • Options
    Last time that happened to me I ended up buying one of the extra things they'd given me and none of the actual stuff I'd gone to try on!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Maybe they have a hidden camera in the dressing room and whoever's giving you the extra things is giving you stuff they want to see you in :p
  • Options
    I work in a clothes shop. Only time I've done this is when I've run out of the right numbered tag... eg if loads of people have been trying on 3 items and I run out of the 3 tags I give the next person with 3 a 4 tag and an extra garment... If you gave them a 2 and a 1 tag to take in at the same time to make up the number, the shopper could put one garment in their bag and leave one of the tags in the changing room... come out looking like they've got the same number they went in with still... make sense?
    Some clothes shops don't bother with tags and just make sure everyone has exactly the same amount of clothes to take in cos it's easier for busy changing rooms... and means they have less clothes to have to put back out on the shop floor ;)
  • Options
    it's usually when a shop's really busy, 'cause it's easier if everyone in the crowded changing room has four items as opposed to different numbered tags.

i'm starting in topshop next week: it's so odd realising i'll have to deal with changing room stuff and everything! (: