Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Snoring

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriend snores. Badly. I often can't get to sleep until the small hours because of it and we avoid going to bed at the same time, which isn't very conducive to normal bedtime activites ;)

Anyway, we haven't really tried much, other than me kicking and prodding him every so often, having the window open and him sleeping on his side.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please? I need to sleep! :( :crying:

Comments

• Options
    Oh god it drives me mad. My ex snored. Try to avoid him sleeping on his back, use plenty of pillows, and as for you, get ear plugs.
  • Options
    ear plugs, pushing him onto his side, cattleprod, seperate rooms
  • Options
    On the odd occasion that Rich snores (usually when he's been drinking), I poke him constantly until he wakes up. It doesn't really work though unless I'm lucky, so I would definitely suggest ear plugs if it's every night.
  • Options
    He already sleeps on his side and we don't want to resort to seperate rooms because the spare room houses hamsters and they'd keep us awake running in their wheels!

Has anyone heard anything about those nasal strips you pop over the bridge of your nose? A friend mentioned a mouth guard you can get too...
  • Options
    From what I have seen of your boyfriend, he doesn't need to lose any weight. Does he smoke? Or drink? Those things can affect snoring.
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey Bumblebee,

A whopping three quarters of British adults snore, and one in three snores so badly it stops their partners from sleeping, so you’re not alone in your agony.

Snoring happens when air doesn’t move smoothly through your air passages causing the tissue in your nose, mouth and throat vibrate when the air passes through.

You are more likely to snore if you are overweight, sleep on you back, or have been drinking alcohol or taking drugs. Age can also be a big factor because as you get older your throat muscles get weaker.

Unfortunately, there’s no overnight cure for snoring, but there are a few lifestyle changes that can be made to stop those sleepless nights.

Try and maintain a healthy diet and control weight. Get regular exercise to strengthen muscles all over your body. Try and sleep on your side rather than your back. Avoid alcohol before going to bed. Quit smoking. You could also try nasal straps. These go over your nose and encourage you to breathe through your nose rather than your mouth. If none of these treatments work have a chat with your GP.

As a last resort you can get surgery to remove excess tissue from the mouth and throat.

If you want to find out more about snoring check out our article on it on TheSite.org.

Hope this helps :thumb:
  • Options
    Maybe try those breath right strips they worked when i had the same problem... if not get some good ear plugs...
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    From what I have seen of your boyfriend, he doesn't need to lose any weight. Does he smoke? Or drink? Those things can affect snoring.

Hehe, you're right, if he lost any weight I wouldn't be able to see him! No he doesn't smoke and he doesn't really drink (he's so small a pint or two could be one too many!)

And thanks C Funk, but again none of those things *really* apply to us as he's not overweight, doesn't smoke or drink and does exercise. I'm going to look for nasal strips I reckon!
  • Options
    My mom makes my dad wear the nasal strips! They must be working because he's been using them for as long as I can remember. The same people that make that also have a syrup now. Seems like a cough syrup but its for snoring instead. I guess if the snoring is more of a mouth than a nose thing.

I saw something on one of those airplane magazines that sell all that weird shit, you strap it to your wrist and if it picks up any noise loud enoug to be a snore it zaps you! :lol:
  • Options
    My mum has some spray stuff which she sprays at the back of her throat... she hates it, but I always make her use it if I have to share a room with her :p
  • Options
    I prod or nudge my bf or I rty to get to sleep before him. Ghost was on channel 5 a few weeks ago and I tried watching it but he was snoring so i pushed him loads of times. Didn't help much tho.
  • Options
    You can go to sleep clinics for snoring where they monitor you over night and can recommend certain things that will help. My mum snores really, really loudly and she was sent to one by her doctor, though her only choice would be to have surgery, but thats in like the extreme cases.