Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Venison Stigma

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whats up with that??

Why do people have a problem with people who eat deer??

Comments

• Options
    cos dey is eating BAMBI
  • Options
    cos dey is eating BAMBI

:yum:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Where I am from, venison is quite the norm. It's just horribly expensive.

I don't eat it though, purely because I don't like it. No other reasons. I don't have a problem with others eating it, though.
  • Options
    I didnt know people had a problem with it - its one of the best smoked meats.

What we should be eating more of is veal, which because of its dire reputation means that loads of young cows are killed and then just destroyed.
  • Options
    I love Venison, I eat loads of it when I'm in the New Forest. I think people get upset because it's fairly unusual and they think dear look so cute...but then so do lambs e.t.c....

I love Veal aswell, they eat alot more of it in Austria and Germany, I've had some delicious meals with veal over there.
  • Options
    I have some veal in the freezer. Not sure whether to cook it with a mushroom sauce, or have it in breadcrumbs. :yum:
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I have some veal in the freezer. Not sure whether to cook it with a mushroom sauce, or have it in breadcrumbs. :yum:

Breadcrumb it AND have a mushroom sauce. They will work together. :yes:
  • Options
    I'll eat both Venison and Veal, dont see the problem really, its just another form of meat.

controversially i dont have a problem with Fois gras either, there seems to be some big campaign against it, but hey ho. i think i heard something recently about trying to ban it.

ETA: before anyone posts that video of force feeding i've seen it, and understand how it is made.

check out dairy farming as well, its a cruel world.
  • Options
    i have no moral objection to venison, and no objection to veal as long as its not white veal, which is cruel and intensively produced (and banned in the UK)
    I dont like the way foie gras is produced either, and it tastes hideous too
  • Options
    I wouldn't eat it, but I am fussy and don't eat lots of things. I don't especially have a problem with others eating it.
  • Options
    Venison - Yum.
    Veal - Yum.
    Foie Gras - Yum.

We're top of the food chain for a reason.
  • Options
    What the fuck is Foie gras?
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »

duck or goose liver.
  • Options

It's a bit like pate, and as mentioned above, made out of duck or goose liver.

It's delicious :yum: but a lot of people don't agree with the way it's produced.
  • Options
    it tastes like dog food except without the texture
  • Options
    I'm really not sure i want to know what dog food tastes like... :p
  • Options
    Man, in Montana if you don't eat venison you're usualy considered a pussy. Hunting has to be the state sport.

There was this dude serving up venison chili out of the tailgate of his truck at a rugby tourniment. He had this big sign that read

"Shoot em
    Stick em
    Gut em
    Grill them
    Walk tall and eat proud you fucking Bambi killers!"

I asked him about it and he said "I don't really know, came up with it right after I shot the damn thing, made sense at the time. I'd been drinking for most of the day"

:thumb:
  • Options

Yep pate, but they stuff the food down the goose with a bug funnel and it makes there livers swell :yuck:
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I didnt know people had a problem with it - its one of the best smoked meats.

What we should be eating more of is veal, which because of its dire reputation means that loads of young cows are killed and then just destroyed.
    Surely being destroyed is nicer than having to suffer being a veal calf.

Note: To the OP... It's less cruel to consume an animal that has had freedom in the wild than a battery chicken.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »

Note: To the OP... It's less cruel to consume an animal that has had freedom in the wild than a battery chicken.

Did I say it was'nt?? :confused:
  • Options
    Did I say it was'nt?? :confused:
    Nope.

I just mean for people who are against it.
  • Options
    There's nothing at all wrong with eating deer, but people don't like it because deer are "cute". Tough luck, they taste nice.

I do have problems with factory-farmed foie gras (there is ethical foie gras on the market, and it tastes just as nice), and I have problems with white veal too.

There's nothing wrong with eating an animal, but there is everything wrong with torturing it first. We're not cats.
  • Options
    tough luck, they taste nice

hehe I like that.

How on earth do you get ethical foie gras though? Oh and they've just banned foie gras completely in York.
  • Options
    hehe I like that.

How on earth do you get ethical foie gras though? Oh and they've just banned foie gras completely in York.

Some places produce foie gras without forcefeeding the geese. They say the funnel feeding is unnecessary as geese are naturally greedy especially at certain times of the year, so they can just overfeed them at those times and theyll stuff themselves silly and swell their own livers without too much prompting anyway.
  • Options
    I suppose that's better than sticking a tube down their neck but I'd still say they were exploiting the geese's natural greed for their own ends :p
  • Options
    were exploiting the geese's natura

I thought you said "exploding geese" lol
  • Options
    I'm surprised that they don't explode after being force fed!