Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

self employed?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hope this in the right place...

Basically I make handmade cards and since giving them out for birthdays and such like, have had quite a few people say I should sell them

For small things like these, ebay is a rip off, by the time they've took my listing fee, then final selling fee, i aint really left with much profit

Anyhoo, I've come across like an online craft market, its kinda like ebay (you have your own shop etc) but its only £25 for a whole year, which works out better than ebay, I can tell ya!

Quite a few people on their have mentioned that they have had to register themselves as self employed...is this really necessary?

Each card I make, costs aprx 50p to make....I'm planning on selling most at about £1.50 -£3.00... Its more for enjoyment than profit...what i make will probably go on more stuff to make them with!

Will i really be making that much that I should register as self employed?

Answers on a postcard.........

Thanks in advance

x

Comments

• Options
    Maybe not self-employed but i'd consider setting up a seperate bank account and putting aside some of the profit for the taxman, who will inevtiably catch up with you, probably 10 years later when you owe £15,000 or something lol.
  • Options
    okies...ta

there wont be much profit tho...thats my point x
  • Options
    I don't think you need to actually.

Just do it for fun and think you're not planning to make profit, and if it is successful things will start to take off and it could develop.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    okies...ta

there wont be much profit tho...thats my point x

The inland revenue won't care about that, they'll chase you anyway.
  • Options
    eeek

mixed messages

hopefuly kermit will know a bit more, think he's pretty clued up on suff like this...failing that i guess i'll have to ring the people in charge

ty for your input guys x
  • Options
  • Options
    thanks gwst

its just at the min i'm only part time, and my mum is only on widow's benefit, so i dont really wanna get into something if its gonna end up costing me more than its worth

x
  • Options
    just been looking, it says when i start to keep bank statements.....the thing is...i'd only be accepting paypal, so how would i go about that?

its so confusing :(
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    just been looking, it says when i start to keep bank statements.....the thing is...i'd only be accepting paypal, so how would i go about that?

its so confusing :(

Paypal keeps records of all your transactions, and your bankstatements will show up that you've recieved a payment from Paypal San Jose.
  • Options
    You do need to register, even if the profit is minimal. You may not have any liability if this is your only income but you would still need to notify HMRC.
  • Options
    seems like such a joke to have to declare summat so small, it really IS minimal

i bet half the people who sell on ebay dont declare it!

i'll get a form anyhoo, better to be safe than sorry

where do u get em from?

ty for the replies

x