Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

auto switch off straighteners

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
Due to the fact I a) have the attention span of a 3 year old and b) enjoy a drink while getting ready I often feel like I havent switched my straighteners off.

I used to have some Andrew Collinge ones that automatically switched themselves off on their own.

Are there any other makes that do these?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thinkthe new GHD ones do after an hour. I really should get some that switch themselves off, the amount of times I come home and that little red light is still on is slightly concerning :chin:
  • Options
    Thats a really good idea. Ive never heard of them before. You'd think they would make that as standard, I imagine there have been lots of fires due to leaving straighteners on in the past few years!!!
  • Options
    TRESemmé Pro Ceramic Jade Straightener's are auto shut off.
  • Options
    I have the new ghd ones and they switch off, well they start to cool down after 15 minutes of not using them and they beep every as they are doing that so that if you are in the room, you can be like aha! If not they turn themselves off anyway.
  • Options
    I need some of these, I have orange marks where my GHDs have burnt the pillow I have left them on for 6 hours is worrying.

Just another thing on my list of hundreds that I want though!
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    when you say new GHDs, I assume they are still over £100?
  • Options
    cheapest is 89 and 92 with p+p from a website not ebay is that still too expensive?
  • Options
    If you wanted a cheaper way of doing it (Or a way which allowed you to stick with your favourite hair straighteners) maybe you could look at the idea of buying a timer plug (I.E a plug that will shut off the power to any appliance plugged into it after a specified period of time)?
  • Options
    the new braun satin straighteners have an auto shut down thing after 30 mins...
  • Options
    The GHD ones are something like 15 mins/30 mins, definetly shorter than an hour. They beep constantly as well though to let you know you've left them on too long though and they're trning themselves off.
  • Options
    I could do with some of those; once I left my straighteners on alllll weekend after going out on Friday night and coming back on the Monday. Eeek! Twas okay though.
  • Options
    Gumdoll wrote: »
    I could do with some of those; once I left my straighteners on alllll weekend after going out on Friday night and coming back on the Monday. Eeek! Twas okay though.

Ooooh that's scary, the worst I've done was 2 hours!! Had them on a heatmat and they still managed to dent the plastic box they were on top of!
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Not wanting to hijack but didn't want to start yet another straightener thread..

Any idea where I can get a pair of boy hair straightners for my mum?

the mens GHDs from GHD stockers or GHD website :):yes:
  • Options
    "If you wanted a cheaper way of doing it (Or a way which allowed you to stick with your favourite hair straighteners) maybe you could look at the idea of buying a timer plug (I.E a plug that will shut off the power to any appliance plugged into it after a specified period of time)?"
    If you wanted an even cheaper way of doing it than Doofay's suggestion, you could pull the plug out of the socket after using them - having to go to all that effort of physically removing the plug and not just flicking a switch should remind you that you definitely turned the straighteners off...
  • Options
    The new ghds are still over £100 , but if they are like my GHDS (touchwood) you will have them over 3 years (hope i haven't talked them up to breaking!)
  • Options
    The new ghds are still over £100 , but if they are like my GHDS (touchwood) you will have them over 3 years (hope i haven't talked them up to breaking!)

Noooo no no! £92.50 including p+p