Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"what r the main conventions of horror genre" HELP FILM LOVERS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
OHHHHHH MY GOD!

once again i have left all homework to the day before school - i never seem to learn

any way i have been asked for media to look at the main conventions of horror which include

-Characteristics
-setting and locations
-visual style
-iconography
-narrative structure
-camera shots/angle/sound/editing/lighting/colour/mise on scene

thatkind of stuff, does any one know of any good web site with this kind of stuff on i have searched high and low,
im off to look at every directors web sites now but any help is much appreciated
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Great homework..just drag out some videos like Friday 13th, Halloween, Carrie, etc. Or better still, just watch Scream, they tell you all about horror films in it!
  • Options
    Well, I only did media at highschool (1998), but the conventions include:

Camera shots looking through windows or from behind branches. Also, shots witch follow a chararcter (over the shoulder). Hitchcock's famous technique of zooming into an object while the background zooms out.

Shadows of murderer/monster quickly moving in sillouette in the background. Cue violin music.

Gothic conventions (such as lightning storms).

More violin music.

And ofcourse the female hero / sex interest as in Neve Campbell or Jamie Lee Curtis. Often these women will be in the bath or shower, or isolated alone, as it makes her more vunerable.

Just watch "Scream", it's all there. A typical horror-movie scenario would be...

Teenages drive out to a cabin in the woods, comitt sins, they begin to dissappear one-by-one at the hands of a inter-bred satanic cult family of supernatural dream-masters with hooks for hands (who died in a foul and gruesome chainsaw accident / burning to death). They will also be an ancestor of one of the teenage girls... who will be the only surviver and discover their secret.