Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anxiety rules...literally

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
it's all coming back to me and i'm starting to get really anxious again and it does my head in, because it makes me depressed and prevents me from learning properly. I have no sodding idea how to get rid of it. It feels like the whole world is caving in on me sometimes and i start to panick and blush and breath faster, other times it's at a lower level, but enough to make me feel sick/ dizzy. :(

Comments

• Options
    that sounds awful, good luck. I used to have bad anxiety and i went to a hyptonist and that worked. But as thats an expencive idea, maybe rescue remedy?
  • Options
    that sounds awful, good luck. I used to have bad anxiety and i went to a hyptonist and that worked. But as thats an expencive idea, maybe rescue remedy?

You can get MP3 downloads that are much cheaper. I'm not sure how effective they are though.
  • Options
    I've never tried hypnotism but I've considered it.

I've suffered with anxiety for ages and it's one of those problems people don't really consider. When you feel in your medical circumstances form, you can't put 'anxiety' because it feels silly.

The first thing to do, unfortunately, is realise there's no quick fix. It's part of your character, if you get me. BUT don't take that to mean you can't overcome it. You can learn of ways to deal with it so it doesn't interfere with your life. One way I found particularly useful was two simple things. Breathing techniques, and relaxing or switching off your mind. For the breathing thing, it's about slowing down your body and mind and stopping worrying so much. Although I'm not an expert, it's generally, slow long breaths in through your nose, and a slow long exhale through your mouth. (Of course, only if it's comfortable for you though)

The other thing for me, was recommended to me by someone and has been my saviour many times. Think of a time you were really happy and chilled out and life was bliss. Mine was when in Thailand, on a boat at night stargazing in my shorts / top with my dad and brother. Absolutely chilled out, nothing else in the world right then. When I get stressed, I just focus on the details and 'pretend' I'm there. So the slight chilliness brought on by the night, the lapping of the waves against the boat etc. - all the details bring me into the memory like it's alive and I'm there chilled out again.

Sounds quite surreal, it's not an out-of-body experience, but it really does help you calm down.

For the long term, if there are any specific issues you should see if you can get help with a counsellor for them. For me, I got quite annoyed with my anxiety and so became quite pro-active and threw caution to the wind - the exact opposite of what I would have done normally. So taking up motorbike riding (scary & dangerous ;) - but one of the best things I've ever done!), throwing myself in at the deep end with positions at uni where I'm dealing with time sensitive and important situations where things must be done by such a time otherwise a lot of people are going to be pissed off, have actually helped me deal day to day because I've got bigger things to worry about.

I don't know if that will help at all, probably not, but I can just say I completely empathise with chronic anxiety. It will always be there at the back of my mind, I can't stop worrying - I will always think too much - but I can stop it interfering with my life :)
  • Options
    thanks, i get what you mean and i understand because i've been trying to prevent myself from getting into those spirals of thoughts, etc. sometimes i just have to let it run it's course though and wait till i throw up or calm down!
  • Options
    Just keep yourself really busy so you dont have time to think worrying thoughts.

Also i find exercise really helps. Running/Cylcing in particular
  • Options
    yeah i do a hell of a lot of walking in the day, and used to around school years ago, it got rid of the excess energy, doesn't have make me tired though!
  • Options
    half* (not 'have')
  • Options
    i also find, as you probably do, that caffine makes it alot worse. If i am jittery or anxious caffine just makes it so much worse.
  • Options
    Have you been to the doctors? I had a friend who suffered with anxiety and panic attacks (especially at exam time) and I think she was prescribed soemthing to calm her down.
  • Options
    I got put on beta blockers for my panic attacks/anxiety. It doesn't get rid of it but it does ease the symptoms so it doesn't get in the way of doing things.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I got put on beta blockers for my panic attacks/anxiety. It doesn't get rid of it but it does ease the symptoms so it doesn't get in the way of doing things.

kinda off topic but did you find they made you tired? i had to go off them for that reason
  • Options
    I suffer from anxiety and depression and was referred to a psychiatrist by my GP. I would never have described my anxiety as much more than moderate but then I started to have panic attacks at random in the supermarket etc. Anyway, my psychiatrist recommended a course of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and I bought the workbook Mind Over Mood. I have found both very helpful. It had got to the point where I was doing all my grocery shopping online but now I can actually go to the supermarket again.
  • Options
    kinda off topic but did you find they made you tired? i had to go off them for that reason

nope, they made me quite perky actually. The first time I took them some of my friends asked if I was on drugs. I was probably on a high because I was so happy that I was able to go about things normally without breaking down. But I did feel relaxed when I took them.