Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Windows Netmeeting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need to communicate with my supervisor in Glasgow over the net while I'm in the States, and she wants to use netmeeting. The only problem is that I have a mac, and that's already wired up with a microphone and a camera. My girlfriend has a PC but that means buying a separate microphone and camera, something which I'm not crazy about.

Is there any way that my computer could communicate with my supervisor's netmeeting, or is netmeeting a proprietary system (is that the right term?)?

I have skype and adium installed on my mac, but skype apparently takes over your computer so the university won't allow it to be installed on my supervisor's work computer. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    How about MSN Messenger?

You can do voice chat on that no idea if the Mac version does that tough

or install windows dual boot on your Mac, that's what I've done - works well.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    How about MSN Messenger?

You can do voice chat on that no idea if the Mac version does that tough

or install windows dual boot on your Mac, that's what I've done - works well.

Not all Macs are able to run windows. And purely for the task of this, it's a bit silly.

www.stickam.com
    just create 2 accounts and chat away
  • Options
    I'd try: http://www.ncsu.edu/it/multimedia/netmeeting/netmeeting.html
    An open source piece of software is mentioned there :)

Bottom line is that netmeeting uses .h323 protocol, and different conferencing software supports that (more or less, i.e. not all of them supports all features that you would expect to find in MS netmeeting etc...)

As for skype, not sure what you mean by it taking over the computer.