Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Starting a cold

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any reccomendations for anything if somebody thinks they may be getting a cold? I have the Halls Defense little hard candy like things with vitamin c, and another one with zinc, but I'm not sure if those would be alright if your getting sick already :p And they taste gross. Any other reccomendations?

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Echinacea :yes:
  • Options
    I know this is no help what so ever but is it true that vit c actually doesn't help in the prevention of colds? Supposedly it only slightly helps in the prevention of colds if you're in extreme cold like in the artic or if your a top class athlete :chin:
    Anyway, normally if I feel like I'm getting a cold I drink hot water with honey and lemon, it makes me feel better.
  • Options
    A good multivitamin, lots of fresh fruit, wrap up warm, have an early night, second the echinacea suggestion. Few drops in a glass of water daily actually makes the world of difference for me in the colder months.
  • Options
    eat shit loads of oranges

human race did fine for centuries without new-age hippy medicines and synthetic drugs!
  • Options
    Thanks! I keep hearing of that and keep forgetting to get some. Sounds great. Putting something in a drink I'm sure would work much better than trying to take something (the sicky is stubborn :p)

Does anybody know, does it work fine if you put it in pop or something instead of water? I want to make sure he'll take it :p
  • Options
    Vitamin C is only one Antioxident...

The deal with sicknesses like Colds is that you've got to hit them from multiple directions at once. Vitamin C alone will never do it unless you've never used it before.

If you've used Vitamin C on a cold already, then it will be less effective, because your viri will see that defense coming next time.

It's the Antioxidant in Vitamin C that did the heavy lifting. so if the viri see that one antioxidant as a threat, you know what your best defense is, right?

Throw OTHER antioxidants at them!

Try Acai berries. They not only have the highest amount of Antioxidants per gram of any food on the planet, but they also have the highest number of antioxidant COMPOUNDS... Way more than any other food.

I've been drinking Acai Berry juice daily since the late last year, and I've never even had a sniffle, not even once!

Here's a great film on Acai Berries that I feel should be required viewing all all school worldwide:
    http://www.AcaiResearch.Org/Power_of_Acai.html

Hope that helps your cold!
  • Options
    Vitamin C is acidic that's why it's recommended when cold season hits. Drops the pH of your blood a bit and viruses/bacteria don't like that. It's like if the air slowly had more sulfur in it. Trouble is you literally have to drink gallons of orange juice or take loads of suppliments on a very strict and consistant basis to make it worth it because your body metabloises and expels it so rapidly (wee wee).
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I know this is no help what so ever but is it true that vit c actually doesn't help in the prevention of colds? Supposedly it only slightly helps in the prevention of colds if you're in extreme cold like in the artic or if your a top class athlete.

Yes. Just been having a look round and there's no evidence Vitamin C can prevent a cold in your average person, though may shorten the duration of the cold by up to half a day, whoop de doo. Unless of course, as you say, you're a marathon runner, arctic skier or mountain climber in which case it can reduce your risk by half.