Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Toy Ideas for 2 year old?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am hoping the mums, dads, and big siblings can help me out here!

I'm making a sort of toy hamper for my other half's nephew for Christmas. He was only two last month and we don't have any other two year olds around us - everyone else's kids are babies or 3+! - so I need to ask for your suggestions for what to put in it!

I've got some little Matchbox cars and some crayons because I know he already has those kind of things, but I'm at a bit of a loss from there.

We don't see them at their house often enough for me to be able to snoop in his toy box to see what kind of things he already has. I know kids all develop at different ages but as far as I know he's quite an average just-two year old.

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

Comments

• Options
    How big a toy hamper - he`ll probably be overwhelmed with presents already and at that age, one bigger gift would probably be better than lots of tiny ones - they just dont have the attention span.
    Id say something like mega blocks would be good - crayons maybe, but I just hid things like crayons and playdough when people got them for presents when Lenny was that age - no offence, but playdough just got in the carpet and crayons just went on the walls if i didnt.
    Maybe a ball, a simple musical instrument from ELC, If youre splashing out, maybe a ride-on toy?

Something like this looks good http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-40989?&parent_category_id=531
    or http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-42245?&parent_category_id=531
  • Options
    Building bricks (not the ones rgar slot together), ride on toys and dressing up clothes. (might be too young for them though)

I'll have a look later through my child care work to find some more ideas for you.
  • Options
    I got my niece a pretend cash register from the ELC when she was about that age and she loved it. Anything that doesn't do too much but you can play with a lot and make games out of is probably the best bet.
  • Options
    If you get a cash register then you could get one of those packets of pretend tins and boxes to go with it, and maybe a little shopping basket too. My sisters used to love the shopping game!
  • Options
    If you get a cash register then you could get one of those packets of pretend tins and boxes to go with it, and maybe a little shopping basket too. My sisters used to love the shopping game!

Oh I got the deluxe model. It came with all those things. Incidentally, it was sponsored by Safeway since that's what all the products were replicas of.
  • Options
    When my nephew was 2 he'd chuck away the toy and play for hours with the box :thumb:

How about something like bath toys? Then he can be as splashy and messy as he likes, without getting stuff all over the rest of the house? Might also be an incentive to get him in the bath if he's the type that's not too keen.
  • Options
    Oh I got the deluxe model. It came with all those things. Incidentally, it was sponsored by Safeway since that's what all the products were replicas of.
    :p
    I think the ones we had were Safeway as well, the ones I saw last had Sainsbury's on.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    kaffrin wrote: »
    When my nephew was 2 he'd chuck away the toy and play for hours with the box :thumb:

Hehe, I was like that - at Christmas I got all these wonderful toys and played with the wrapping paper. I was happy :yes:
  • Options
    A drum!! Muhahahaaaaa!!

ELC (Early Learning Centre) is fab for babies toys and not hideously expensive too. My boy used to like the individual farm animals / zoo animals / dinosaurs they sell and they aren't expensive. Most boys seem to like Thomas the Tank engine so you could get him a few trains to get started with? You can get wooden train tracks which fit the Thomas trains but also work fine with the Brio or supermarkets own version....that way it's a present you can top up each birthday or Christmas as they will happily play with it for years.
  • Options
    yeah those wooden brio type train sets are the business!!
    Lenny got at least 3 years of good playing out of his and its/theyre still all in good nick for when Félix is old enough
  • Options
    Lenny was never actually interested in those blocks that dont fit together. He got bought about 3 sets at various times and they got played with about twice
  • Options
    Stickers!
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    How about something like bath toys? Then he can be as splashy and messy as he likes, without getting stuff all over the rest of the house? Might also be an incentive to get him in the bath if he's the type that's not too keen.

:yes: Get those bath crayons that you can draw on yourself and the bath! Theyre amazing and wash off easily
  • Options
    :p
    I think the ones we had were Safeway as well, the ones I saw last had Sainsbury's on.

Should it not be Morrisons now?

Actually, I think they were Sainsbury's now you mention it.
  • Options
    Aqua draw!

My nephew had a thomas the tank engine one and a plain one, he loved it! At the nursery were I used to work we gave it the little ones and they played with it for hours! It's also good for hand eye co-ordination, and helps them to hold a pen.

The Thomas one is really good cos you roll the rail thingy and Thomas will follow the track!

The parents will love it aswell cos you just fill the pens with water and the kids draw on the aquadraw! No mess!:thumb:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3540976/Trail/searchtext%3EAQUA+DRAW.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3483112/Trail/searchtext%3EAQUA+DRAW.htm
  • Options
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    Aqua draw!
    I second this suggestion, Abbie is getting an Aqua Draw for her birthday :)
    kangoo wrote: »
    :yes: Get those bath crayons that you can draw on yourself and the bath! Theyre amazing and wash off easily
    And also teach the kiddies it's ok to draw on stuff other than paper, a parents nightmare!
  • Options
    James has thomas aqua draw and loves it too.
  • Options
    Aqua draw is great and it is not messy in the slightest, there are all sorts now like bob the builder and dora the explora. Oh and the tills with the pretend foods. I work at ELC and it's amazing how it's mostly the boys who the love playing with the kitchens, dolls house and the dolls prams!
    My little nephew is nearly two and he likes things like the iron, microwave, cleaning sets, hoover etc. It's because he can look at what his mum and dad do and copy them. He also "helps" my sister when shes cleaning too using his own cleaning toys, it's so sweet!
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies! :)

Will definitely look into the Aqua Draw.

I see your point, SCC - hadn't thought about him getting overwhelmed with lots of little things.. thanks!
  • Options