Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Issues With Talking To People

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Before anyone says anything, it doesn't seem to be an issue with being bored of someone or it being anything to do with meeting new people - it happens with nearly everyone I'm friends with.

Over the last year or so, I seem to have developed this big problem with making conversation with people. Generally, I will only talk to people if they talk to me first or I want something from them. It doesn't matter whether I'm on my own with someone or ina group with people - I just can't seem to make conversation with people.

How do I overcome this?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You overcome this with willpower. There's nothing else to do but consciously force yourself to make conversation. You can think a bit about what you would like to say and then just go ahead and say it and see where it takes you.

I've been fighting a similar problem and still today it's something I often need to dare myself into doing but the more often I've done it the easier it's become.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    What Jaloux said. Also it might be a good suggestion to tell you to not think as much. As in, if you think of saying something, say it. Without thinking whether it will be a good thing to say or not.
    You might end up saying some silly things or something that will be misunderstood, but I think it will help slowly.