Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

English Disertation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I can't get myhead around your title either :|.

Have you asked your teacher what they mean by it?
  • Options
    i tried, and he said it made sense (he's a pretty arrogant guy)

see i think it needs a bit added in before where it goes into the "individualism ..." part but i cant really work out what

I've got to have a first draft in by next thursday and i just really cant work this out at all
  • Options
    Tell him that it doesn't! He can't refuse you help! Perhaps go to one of the other teachers and see if they can make sense of it?

I agree that it does need a word added in, but I couldn't tell you what either :(.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    "The Authors see the self under assualt, individualism, gender, forces outside the self."
    It's a very strange way to write, but my teachers at school used it quite often...
    I think it means "Write a paper that includes/addresses the following:
    • The authors seeing the self under assault
    • Individualism
    This kind of thing anyway.
  • Options
    Thing is thats meant to be my assignment, not even just a like prompts for what to write so thats whats confusing me, he wrote me an assignment, that to me seems incomplete
  • Options
    "The Authors see the self under assualt, individualism, gender, forces outside the self."

The Authors See 'the Self' under assault - consider individualism, gender issues and forces outside the self.

I really don't know, it is confusing. Especially the last part. Given the nature of the books I can only assume you're to look at the ways the authors are showing that the idea of "self" and individualism and gender roles are being denigrated and are 'under assault'. In terms of The Handmaid's Tale, society has been entirely reconstructed so that "the self" doesn't exist and everybody exists solely within the constraints of their gender. But their gender as the powers that be want it to be utilised - i.e. for creating or bringing up babies. Ah, it's confusing... I'll have a think and get back to you ;)

It does kind of make sense though, I can see what the title is getting at... even if it is non-sensical, badly-constructed and misleading. What else would you expect from a University/College lecturer though...?
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »

The Authors See 'the Self' under assault - consider individualism, gender issues and forces outside the self.

That sounds pretty good....briggi the genius as usual :p.

I say that you should write an essay with briggi's title, if your lecturer says anything then tell them where to go ;o.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit

Nothing personal, but I said basically the same thing... And you get all the credit. :(
  • Options
    Oh dear, I do apologise. I just re-wrote what I read, I never look at other people's replies because I've got self-importance issues and think I know it all when it comes to Margaret Atwood anyway. Only joking, don't stress about it, I hereby give all the credit to you :razz:

Onto more important issues.... Franki, when are you going to take me back to my glory days at Northumbria SU shouting abuse at boys in scarves and tanktops and falling down flights of stairs? I've been plotting it ever since you said you were coming oop norf ;) How are you finding the Toon, anyway?
  • Options
    Oh dear, I do apologise. I just re-wrote what I read, I never look at other people's replies because I've got self-importance issues and think I know it all when it comes to Margaret Atwood anyway. Only joking, don't stress about it, I hereby give all the credit to you :razz:

Onto more important issues.... Franki, when are you going to take me back to my glory days at Northumbria SU shouting abuse at boys in scarves and tanktops and falling down flights of stairs? I've been plotting it ever since you said you were coming oop norf ;) How are you finding the Toon, anyway?
    Well when are you around :p? I'm going on a bar crawl on Tuesday with my English and Creative Writing cronies :D. I'm loving ittttttttttt :D. I expect to be taken up on the babysitting promise too :p.
  • Options
    haha sorry indrid, i think it was just cause briggi sorta nailed down the missing word to make it a complete assignment

Anyway thanks for all the help guys, i'm definately gonna work with that assignment because thats definately helped to clarify it in my mind