Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hurt/damaged rib

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anything be done for a damaged rib? My boyfriend hurt his over a week ago and ever since has been in pain whenever he coughs, sneezes, laughs or lies in certain positions in bed. He won't go to the doctor though because he reckons there's not a lot that can be done for it, and says he'd know if it was broken as it'd be a lot worse pain-wise. I've been nagging him to get it checked but have to admit if the doctors won't be able to do anything for it it seems a bit pointless. Does anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    Main thing the doctor would do was make sure no further damage has been done. The main risk with hurt/damaged ribs is that they can be linked to or go on to cause lung damage.

The doctor may also suggest more appropriate painkillers, or prescribe stronger ones.
  • Options
    Hmm, OK. That part about lung damage could be what I need to persuade him to go for a check up. Then I suppose if they can't do anything at least he'll be able to tell me "I told you so" (he loves to do that). Thanks for your help.