Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Binge Drinking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Obviously this has lately and will be a predominant thread in this forum, and any forum debating UK issues but I've just seen this report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7038845.stm

Do you lot think that the consistent appliance of force to these retailers that continue to sell alcohol to underagers is the way forward - or do you think that the government's efforts would be best focused targetting the people who are of age who might be acquiring alcohol for underagers? Does this seem positive to you at all?

What really made me laugh about that report was "the 'HM Revenue and Customs data, checked against sales information from BBPA members, suggests drinkers got through an average of 8.9 litres of alcohol per person in 2006.". Are they talking 8.9 litres of drinks, or the actual substance of alcohol, because if they're talking about lager or such I probably burnt through more than that last night :p

Comments

• Options
    I think licensees who knowingly sell to underage people should be clamped down on, but at the same time I think the age at which you can buy alcohol should be lowered.

I'd allow 15 year olds to drink alcohol with an ABV of less than 8%, and only leave the 18-year-old limit for spirits and alcopops. It gets them in the pub where they are safe and don't cause so muich mischief, it removes the "forbidden" element of underage drinking, and it will make people drink less IMHO.

If you can drink in the pub with a jukebox and a pool table, why would you swig vodka in a bus shelter?
  • Options
    Not really, it just means if 15 year olds think its great and dodgy to drink then the 13 year olds will be next.

And it means access to alcohol being easier, and easier to younger generations.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If you can drink in the pub with a jukebox and a pool table, why would you swig vodka in a bus shelter?

I tend to swig buckie in a bus shelter then go to the pub with the pool table and juke box. Best of both worlds. ;)
  • Options
    Not really, it just means if 15 year olds think its great and dodgy to drink then the 13 year olds will be next.

And it means access to alcohol being easier, and easier to younger generations.
    I don't really think that's necessarily the case; it's certainly not the case in Europe where alcohol is available to younger people.

Whilst alcohol is seen as adult and taboo kids will continue to act all hard and swig too much of it. I don't see why the alcohol age shouldn't be lowered, it's certainly safer than sex.
  • Options
    I'd allow 15 year olds to drink alcohol with an ABV of less than 8%, and only leave the 18-year-old limit for spirits and alcopops. It gets them in the pub where they are safe and don't cause so muich mischief, it removes the "forbidden" element of underage drinking, and it will make people drink less IMHO.

WHEN I WAS A KID KERMY ...IT WAS QUIte normal for dads to start taking their 14 year old sons to the pub on a sunday afternoon while mum cooked dinner at home.
    illegal but no one bothered.
    it gave you an understanding of alcohol and acceptable behaviour.
  • Options
    I get IDd more regularly now. But only someone who's a bit daft doesn't take ID with them. We normally just laugh at me, because I'm obviously 'green' enough to get IDd. Then my mate who's 24 got IDd :)
  • Options
    I've got no problem with younger people being served in pubs for certain drinks, or a certain number of drinks if theyre with an adult, but allowing a 15 year old to have free reign in an off licence and simply saying "don't let them have any spirits" is asking for trouble.

Most of the kids I stop/search normally have some sort of mix of lager or lambrini and are normally pissed out their faces by 7pm. Come 10pm we're getting calls all over the place about marauding youths who are smashing everything up and fighting. This is what we deal with when it's hard to get hold of, making it easier would just sap our resources to the limit.

As for clamping down on traders e.t.c. they should know by now they have a responsibility to the community they serve by not allowing kids or drunkards access to more alcohol. We've introduced the challenge 21 rule to give them a bit of a hand when it comes to knowing who to I.D. the rest is up to them.
  • Options
    I'm 19 and I get ID'd more now than I did when I was underage! Lots of places seem to have got stricter on alcohol.

It's not as if the underage are the only people to binge drink, just go to a student union any night of the week or a town centre on a weekend... Thing is, officially, 4 or 5 pints is 'binge drinking' - but we all know there's a big difference between that, and necking a load of vodka. I'm guilty myself but I think the problem is with spirits really - and wine to a lesser extent... When people want to get drunk (myself at least and a lot of people I know) we go for cheap vodka or cheap white wine... hence I think it's probably a good idea to do as Kermit says and make beer and some things 16 leaving the rest at 18. (I'm pretty sure that's the case in Germany - although there like in most of Europe nobody seems to really care about young people buying alcohol).
  • Options
    I'm 24 and got ID'd a few months back....and everyone at work thinks i look like i'm 30 odd. Lol.
  • Options
    I don't really think that's necessarily the case; it's certainly not the case in Europe where alcohol is available to younger people.

Whilst alcohol is seen as adult and taboo kids will continue to act all hard and swig too much of it. I don't see why the alcohol age shouldn't be lowered, it's certainly safer than sex.

I think alcohol related deaths and such is higher than sex related deaths, so not sure if it's 'safer' in that way.

I was brought up where having a glass of wine / wine with water / orange juice / lemonade with a meal was fine, and so when I got older and people just drank exclusively to get pissed I didn't get it and didn't enjoy it. Lager doesn't taste nice, it makes you bloated and you have to get through quite a lot. Even a pint is massive compared to a glass of wine.

But, perhaps due to peer pressure, I now love trying to get a bit drunk because otherwise I'm too timid to talk to people and dance and things. Maybe I should be tackling those demons rather than using alcohol :p but it's a quick fix with the drawbacks being things I can worry about tomorrow, so to speak.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7040469.stm

I really don't see how this is going to make a difference.
    I was brought up where having a glass of wine / wine with water / orange juice / lemonade with a meal was fine, and so when I got older and people just drank exclusively to get pissed I didn't get it and didn't enjoy it. Lager doesn't taste nice, it makes you bloated and you have to get through quite a lot. Even a pint is massive compared to a glass of wine.

I'm the same. I will drink, but it's rare and even then, I'll only have a few drinks or so.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Anyone who's not a carrot should be able to see that lowering or removing the age would do good in the long term...
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7040469.stm

I really don't see how this is going to make a difference.

If they make it totally illegal to drink on the street, it might. Oherwise all we'll have is a bigger bunch of 16 year olds getting pissed on parks than we do now and no power to stop them.
  • Options
    Anyone who's not a carrot should be able to see that lowering or removing the age would do good in the long term...

Politicians don't think about the long term though, they think about the next election. If it doesn't get results in 4 years (also see sex education and legalising drugs) then they're not interested.
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options
    Under age or over age I dont see it makes a great deal of difference - unless people havent noticed a large minority of this countries drinkers regardless of age have a serious problem with it and it costs us many billions to deal with.

If we dont do anything to stop adults seriously over drinking I doubt we will make the slightest impact on kids.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    If we dont do anything to stop adults seriously over drinking I doubt we will make the slightest impact on kids.

:yes:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

I was brought up where having a glass of wine / wine with water / orange juice / lemonade with a meal was fine, and so when I got older and people just drank exclusively to get pissed I didn't get it and didn't enjoy it.

I'm the same - however I have to argue that not being 'used' to drinking makes it difficult at parties etc - I can only have 2 alcopops before I'm on the verge of being hammered, and can only usually have 1 glass of wine at a time, any more and I can't even walk!!!