Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Healed wound, red skin. Should I worry?

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
In short, during late August I had a wound on my foot which healed but caused an infection and swelling and I was on antibiotics for a week. The swelling took 2-3 weeks to disappear. Now, around the healed wound (bigger area than the wound was) my skin is quite red, and has been that way since the swelling. There's no other indication there might be a problem. Should I worry about it?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's normal for new skin under a scab to be really pink. I'd just keep an eye on it. Normally, the redness should fade in a few weeks, but it might take a bit longer if it was a big one, or cause of the infection.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    It's normal for new skin under a scab to be really pink. I'd just keep an eye on it. Normally, the redness should fade in a few weeks, but it might take a bit longer if it was a big one, or cause of the infection.
    Well, that's the thing. It's not just where the scab was, but around it (I did mention that in the OP :p).
  • Options
    Well, that's the thing. It's not just where the scab was, but around it (I did mention that in the OP :p).

How far around though?

Scabs generally shrink as they heal, so the new skin is over a bigger area that just where the scab was.
  • Options
    I attached a photo... It doesn't look as red on it as it does on reality.
    There was definitely no scab on all that area, the skin doesn't even look like "new" skin (except for where the scab was).
  • Options
    I'm not a doctor, but I'd say the fact I can't even tell which part of that photo you're on about is probably a good sign!

But if you're worried about it, get it checked out.
  • Options
    lol, I agree that's a good sign.
    No, I'm not that worried. I just expected the redness would be gone a month later. Thanks for the comments :)
  • Options
    Skin can take a while to heal espcially if youv'e had an infection and theres scar tissue present. Some of my larger scars are still a very slightly differnt colour to the surronding skin due to tissue damage.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    If it is a scar, it is possible it may be like that for a while

You also must remember, a foot can find it rather hard to heal as it is used so frequently.

If it isnt sore or causing you any discomfort then just see how it pans out. If at this point in a couple of weeks you cant see any considerable difference then seek medical advice hun.

PS I didnt look at the pic coz I hate feet...bleugh!