Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sitting down all day

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Most of what I do involves sitting down at a Computer - lately finding I'm getting quite sore by the end of the day.

Anyone else suffer from the side-effects of sitting down a lot all day?

Any tips? , etc?

I'm looking into buy a new chair but shocking how expensive the really good ones are, several hundred - I'm guessing their targeted at big businesses who don't mind paying so much.

But so far been to the major stores like staples, Ikea, etc and not found anything I like that feel any more comfy then what I have.

Although from research on the net it seem the words "24 hour chair" bring up some interesting results.

Comments

• Options
    Sore where? Back or bum? Maybe some cushions would help, and taking a break and walking around every so often. Pay attention to your posture as well, you might be sitting awkwardly and so you could change that.
  • Options
    I get sore leg muscles from sitting all day, this is due to me walking to work and then sitting so my muscles cramp, I try to walk around a fair bit especially in the morning to stretch the muscles out.

I also get poor posture because I use a laptop so I stoop to see the screen. So when I can I plug in a biger monitor that's at eye level.

With posture the key thing to remember is that everything should be at right angles, so your knees, hips and elbows should all be at right angles.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Sore where? Back or bum? Maybe some cushions would help, and taking a break and walking around every so often. Pay attention to your posture as well, you might be sitting awkwardly and so you could change that.

Not the back .. :D
  • Options
    Cushions then. Or you could sit on one of these:
    pink_ring_naxos300.jpg
    :D
  • Options
    A cushin might help a little bit but try not to sit the whole time thry getting up a little bit throughout the day when you feel like your getting a little sore.. get a drink of water.. walk to the bathroom etc...
  • Options
    Use your 5 minutes per hour away from the PC screen wisely and walk off any eye strain, DVT threats and to generally clear your mind from images burned from the screen.

If anyone who used a PC for 8 hours a day says they don't have a 5 min window spare to break away - they just don't care about their health anyways.
  • Options
    Try moving around a little bit more if possible..
  • Options
    There are lots of things available to help with posture whilst using a computer - lots of different types of cushions; some that tilt your pelvis so it's sitting correctly, lumbar rolls, back supports etc.

Getting up and having a walk about a couple of minutes every so often also helps - regular breaks are so important.

There are ergonomic chairs out there, and the smaller ones (I'm thinking of that one that you sort of kneel on) aren't as dear as the more high spec ones.

I struggle a lot at home because I spend a lot of time online with a computer desk that doesn't encourage good posture and a chair that has seen better days. I'm getting an ergonomic chair bought for me because of my disability, and the one they've recommended is £800!!! I didn't even know you could spend that much on an office chair, it's ridiculous. It'll be interesting to see how comfortable it is :s.....
  • Options
    Good god, yes. My hips, knees and back start to ache by about lunch time. By 3pm I'm getting shooting pains in my legs. V rubbish.

Think that might just be me, though. I can't even sit in a cinema seat for the length of a film without getting really sore and fidgety.

Getting up and having a wander (and a stretch out if you can) definitely helps, but I think the main problem is that humans weren't designed to sit in a chair for 8 hours a day. We should really all be out working the land, etc.
  • Options
    Move move move move and move some more.

I developed back problems because I sat so much in front of a computer. It's not that my back is ruined, but if I don't exercise or move about then I do get pains that can put me out.

Even if it's not your back then any pain is a first sign and you need to act on it right away to prevent it from going further.

To be honest, if you are going to be using a computer a lot in the future then you really aren't supposed to be thinking about cheap solutions. Fucking your back is serious business. I know a lot of people with more serious back problems than me and often they may lose up to a week's worth of work if their back goes.
    Good chairs are necessary (although it has to suit you and you need to know how to use it), and a desk that you can move up and down to either sit or stand by it is a brilliant thing.
    However, the best methods include standing up and moving about, taking frequent breaks and exercising regularly in your free time. You need to think preventive rather than reactive.
  • Options
    Just keep moving around as best you can, and make sure you are sitting properly in the chair and have the keyboard and monitor positioned properly.

I've got a really good chair from Ikea, it's a free-sprung one on a pivot, so the back and squab move when I do, and it is so so comfortable. It means I always keep my back straight and my legs on the floor properly. It was only about £100, I saw the same chair in their the other week.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Just keep moving around as best you can, and make sure you are sitting properly in the chair and have the keyboard and monitor positioned properly.

I've got a really good chair from Ikea, it's a free-sprung one on a pivot, so the back and squab move when I do, and it is so so comfortable. It means I always keep my back straight and my legs on the floor properly. It was only about £100, I saw the same chair in their the other week.

If you find the direct link to it let us know - but I went to my local ikea and tried loads out - - although Ikea are a bit stupid they put their chair on shelves or nail half of them to the walls so you can't try all of them out.

Some of the chairs I've found most comfy have a fabric seat like on a deck chair .. saw a swivel chair with wheels like that at Habitat but was like £160 - serious rip off price.

http://www.habitat.co.uk/fcp/product/browse/Office-chair/971543