Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

bank charging me £100 arrangement fee

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I would really appreciate some advice on this.

I have a graduate account with the HSBC. I went temporarily over my overdraft, for a period of a week or so. I am back in credit and have just checked on my internet banking, and they have said they plan on charging me a £100 arrangement fee for this. Is this the kind of fe I can claim back, or am I just stuck with this? I realise it was my own fault to go over my overdraft, but then, they did let the payments go out rather than just refusing them, so I don't feel like I consented to this arrangement fee!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    you can but currently the courts have said the banks can freeze refunds on charges until a test case has been heard.

If you go in and talk to your bank politely explain it was a mistake and you won't let it happen again they'll probably refund it.

Also check the T&Cs of your account £100 is an awful lot!
  • Options
    They've started calling them "arrangement fees" rather than penalty fees because of the laws surrounding unfair contractual terms. It makes it sound like a service, and services are not covered by unfair contract laws.

Whatever they call it, it's still a fine for going overdrawn, and HSBC are the most expensive bank in the business for these charges.

I would suggest you go to your bank and politely ask them to refund it, on the basis that it was a mistake and it only happened once. If they refuse, threaten to transfer your account. If they still refuse, transfer your account.

HSBC are probably one of the poorest performers in the banking sector, and both Halifax and Alliance and Leicester have far better products at the moment. You might want to think about switching banks anyway, have a look at The Money Saving Expert for advice on the best banking products at the minute.

A bank is a service like any other, and if the bank is as poor a performer as HSBC you should move.