Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Parking fines

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I’ve just gone to the pub with some mates, I was going to stay at home because I had little money but I decided to drive and come home early, anyway I was rather stupid and parked somewhere I should not and took some of my mate advice they said “it will be fine” “you wont get clamped at this time of night” anyway I returned to my car and I was clamped.

The release fee was £70 possibly the highest fee I’ve seen in my town and I had to park there how stupid can you get

Anyways I had to learn the hard way and would advise you all not to park where you should not,

Out of curiosity what is the highest release fee you have seen/had to pay

I feel so stupid and there is nothing I can do about it I have wasted £70 think all the things I could of spent that money on and not paying some bloke to undo a small padlock. :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    In the first month or so I lived at my new place which falls under Westminster Council, I ranked up £450 of fines. I only had a Saturday morning on which to get my residents permit (as I was working away), but my partying always got in the way - one time with my car being removed, costing me £200 to get it back.

Ah well, all sorted now :D
  • Options
    I once parked my car in Durham. The car park was owned by Durham City Council but the nearest pay machine was for the Durham County Council carpark further down the road. Since there wasn't any sign to tell me I was in a Durham City Council carpark I simply paid at the nearest machine and doddled off to work. My boyfriend at the time came to find me a few hours later to notify me I had a nice fine to pay. I marched down to the City Council offices and paid my £5. :impissed:
  • Options
    never, illegal to clamp in scotland
  • Options
    £100 at Stevenage Leisure Park. It's to deter the communters from parking there.

It works, you wouldn't do it twice!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    £125 in Wellington Place in Leeds. Plenty of vans unloading get it.
  • Options
    I heard a traffic warden in my town telling a van off who was unloading for parking in the residents only spots. And then she told him that he was actually allowed to park on the double yellow lines if he was unloading for 20 mins.
  • Options
    You can remove clams legally as long as you don't do criminal damage to them.

At the end of the day they're private contractors working to make money on behalf of private companies / private property or local councils, it's not the government. As such they don't have the same kind of authority.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    I recently got charged by London Transport £60 for pulling over into a 'red route' (looks a bit like a bus stop as it's off the main road) at 634pm at night, for two whole mins! They even admitted on the phone that when they saw the video I wasn't there for very long, and still made me pay even though I pulled over because there was a strange rattling under my car seat and wanted to check it. Boo!
  • Options
    worst story I heard was some guy parked perfectly legally in London but then [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]George Bush came to visit the city and so the council towed this guys car away as it was along the route the president would have taken - he was on holiday at the time and had to pay a huge release fee.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    worst story I heard was some guy parked perfectly legally in London but then [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]George Bush came to visit the city and so the council towed this guys car away as it was along the route the president would have taken - he was on holiday at the time and had to pay a huge release fee.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

:eek: surely that can't be legal! :banghead:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    You can remove clams legally as long as you don't do criminal damage to them.

Not really true, certain authorities have the right to clamp and tow your car, and that includes most local authorities and contractors working for them.