Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Girl at work, what to do...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, was wondering if you lot could help me with something at the moment because being honest i'm clueless. Basically I work in a pub as a barman and over the last month or so I've started to get on well with one of the waitreesses at work and started to have feelings for her, the problem is though shes two years younger than me (im 19 shes 17) and I've never been in a relationship because I guess im afraid of rejection and just having quite a low opinion of myself. Having seen a few past threads it appears i'm not the only one with this problem.

Saying all that though since getting the job and sorting myself out my confidence has improved and for the first time ever really I think maybe I am good enough to be with someone.Also theres something about her which puts me at ease, I feel comfortable around her and we do flirt quite a bit but I don't know if shes just being friendly or if maybe she likes me as well? Whenever we have breaks at the same time she'll either come sit with me or ask if i'll join her and she has paid me compliments about my tie and how I seem to look calm on the bar when the place was a bit hectic etc but I don't know if thats just being friendly or not.
I have tried to return the compliments but so far I've only managed to say she smelt nice (yes i know, modern day casanova me :rolleyes: ) but it seemed to go down well enough and the way she said thanks seemed a little odd, seemed very sincere and I guess apreciated?

My concern is that I don't want to get the wrong end of the stick and for it to go tits up because it would make work awkward and i'm going back to college in Sept and she will be there as well a year above me (granted its a big place).

She is gorgeous though and having got to know her I don't want to pass up the chance to be with her though, so has anyone got any experience with dating people from work and whats the best way to go about it?

Apologies for being absolutely clueless but this is the best place to get some proper advice.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds eerily similar to the situation before I met the woman who was to become my first girlfriend. I can only tell you how things went in my case. I was talking to her for some time, before she suddenly asked me out for a drink after work. We got talking more there, and just got closer over time.

You can try asking her, if you like.
  • Options
    red88 wrote: »
    so has anyone got any experience with dating people from work and whats the best way to go about it?

Oh boy are you asking the right guy!! ;) To be honest best way to go about it is through friendship. Once your at ease with each other and got few drinks in you, things will become much easier.

It sounds from reading between the lines that she considers you a friend at the very least, so that in itself could be great building block to form a solid relationship.

You could take a leap while on a break together and ask her if she fancies seeing a film some night, it doesn't have to be a big deal if you word it rightly. Do you know any back round information on her such as what music,t.v & firms she likes?

If you want to test the water without jumping in fully, you could ask her what she thinks of another male worker. If she comes back with "oh he's nice but I kinda like someone else" and smiles at you, you're game on mate!:thumb:

Down side to that is she might let slip she has a bf/doesn't want a bf. Either outcome allows you to see where she stands without lining yourself up for hurt/embarrassment!
  • Options
    Try to develop a bit of a friendship with her but be flirty but no overpowering. Read the signals as well so if the vibe is that she's not interested just stick to friends.

From what you've said so far it sounds like a good start to a good friendship/ relationship.

But if it's all going good get her number then send her a text asking how she's doing. Wait for her to reply then text back asking her out or something.
  • Options
    Just try not to go all sloppy on her, letting her walk all over you...
    Oh no... if MoK sees these comments, we just know what's going to happen, don't we? :p
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone I'll let you know how it goes, cheers.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Oh no... if MoK sees these comments, we just know what's going to happen, don't we? :p

Seen it and in that context he's spot on. Take it easy, don't go OTT trying to do things for he, hoping atht she will respond. Pluck up courage and ask her out.

Just gald he didn't mentioned that women prefer a "challenge" :p
  • Options
    imho the cinema is not a great date for those whith low self confidence (coming from personal experience) 1) cos its dark and cozy and i felt personally a little pressured (was terrified of making the first move but felt expected to)
    2) you cant talk and really get to know each other,

work relationships can be tough especially if one of you is in a position of authority, either it could cause friction between you 2, or others will accuse one or the other of favoritism (believe me this even happens if you purposely favour them less than anyone else)
  • Options
    Shitehawke wrote: »
    imho the cinema is not a great date for those whith low self confidence (coming from personal experience) 1) cos its dark and cozy and i felt personally a little pressured (was terrified of making the first move but felt expected to)
    2) you cant talk and really get to know each other,

work relationships can be tough especially if one of you is in a position of authority, either it could cause friction between you 2, or others will accuse one or the other of favoritism (believe me this even happens if you purposely favour them less than anyone else)

You may have a point about going to see a film, i'm sure I can think of something even if it's just go into town for few hours, grab some lunch or something.

As far as it being a work thing goes it could be a bit of problem but the kind of job we do it should be ok. We are both on the same level I guess and everyone there gets on well, got a few couples on the team already so it's nothing new.

Anyways didn't really get much of a chance to speak to her tonight the way the shifts worked out but never mind, she continued to compliment my tie collection (odd seeing as the tie I had on wasn't new and shes seen it before :\) and made a cracking cup of tea so it wasn't too bad. Shes off on holiday now so can't really do much but i'll try pluck up the courage once shes back, need to at somepoint I guess.
  • Options
    Didn't want to start a new thread so im bringing this back to life briefly. Since last posted the thread not much has happened really, she was on holiday for ages and college started before I saw her. Decided to send her a nemail on the college network just saying hello, hows you etc do you want to meet up sometime and catch up? then left it at that. she did reply, seemed to go down well enough but I then saw her at work (I was working she wasn't) and first thing she mentioned was that she got my email but i hadn't replied. Said i'd messed something up and instead of sending the email it was stored as a draft, so that night I deleted the draft and sent a reply but I think I made a mistake by giving her my mob number, just saying text me or whatever when you want to meet up and just being bit more jokey. I then mentioned the next day at work that she should check her mail as I actually sent the reply properly. I didn't in the end get a reply but oddly the first thing she mentioned when I saw her around college was the fact she got my email, so not sure if I was bit forward in it or not?

Anywhoo after all that I have got her number, I asked if she wanted to meet up during college sometime and after bit of "well thats not good for me etc etc" she just gave me her number and said text when your free.

Sounds gd but after saying we'd meet up today we never did as i walked into the place we decided to meet but I think I saw her on a table with a load of her friends and I didn't want to just barge my way in, so I just text her saying im here if your free. Didn't get a reply so decided to just leave and go do bit of revision. She did eventually reply to my text, saying she was really sorry she couldn't hear her phone and so on but I didn't want to rush back over to the place we said we would meet, as it was getting on and it's not like I had left her on her own so didn't think she would be too bothered. I just text back saying np maybe another time just text me. If you dont want to then no worries.

Sorry I know its a tad long winded just trying to lay it all down so you can try make sense of it. Does it sound like im wasting my time? I can't help but feel I haven't a chance but im not the best person to judge that as I do have quite a low opinion of myself so i'm not looking at it from a good position, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    yeah true, just its difficult to gauge if things have a chance if I rarely get the chance to talk and just have a laugh. Maybe thats saying something in itself. I have no issue chatting with her at all, just not had much of a chance to.
  • Options
    Hi there :wave: , this can be quite frustrating as time is passing by and you still feel unsure about what is going on with her and where you stand.

I am linking you to this article that may help boost your confidence when dealing with dating, which i hope can be useful. It could be a good idea however to call her, maybe in the evening. Perhaps if you speak a few times you will be able to get closer and eventually you will both find the time to meet up. It will also help you to get to know each other better so why not give it a try!

Good luck :)