Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

home waxing!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how good are home waxing kits and how much do they hurt/and are effective?

and any sugestions as to which ones to buy as in which brand and should i be using strips or liquid wax?

and no i have only ever had my eyebrows waxed...

Comments

• Options
    I've waxed at home a few times, but only using the veet strips. I don't find them very effective, and my god they hurt! But that might be me doing it wrong. I've only ever used them when I've been too busy/lazy/late to book an appointment to get it done professionally. I've heard the liquid hot wax is supposed to be better, but then it's more expensive.
  • Options
    i don't have money to get everything wax profesionally

i'll get my bikini wax done professionally but my legs i can't afford to get done as well
  • Options
    I use hot wax, don't remember the brand though. It's not 100% effective but so far I don't want to get it done professionally and the change is pretty significant anyway! It's dead easy to shave the rest off imho. :)

However I sort of burnt myself for the first time last month... a week before I was off for a dirty weekend. :lol: Was pretty gutted!

I'm still building up the courage to have my bikini done professionally. I definitely daren't do it myself but would love to rip most of it off. Shit scared it's painful as hell. Yet I don't mind waxing my legs on my own. I don't find that particularly painful.
  • Options
    I've used strip waxing kits to varying degrees of success. I find the veet strips (with wax already on the strips) quite handy for things like the bikini line and underarms, I'd say the pain is no more than getting it done professionally, but that depends on your own technique.

By far the best thing I did was order some hot waxing slabs (I think I did this on Ebay) where I melted some wax, applied it with a wooden spatula (they came with the kit I ordered), waited for it to dry, then pulled it off, without the need for strips. I tend to use this for areas like upper lip, eyebrows, bikini line (even did a brazilian with it once - never again though as it was pretty painful) but legs etc, it's pretty good.
  • Options
    ohhhh, I like the idea of hot wax with no strips...
  • Options
    It can be pretty good, the main downside for me is that it can cool down and start to harden again if you're slow or covering a large area. All you need to do is melt it again, but wait a while otherwise it's like applying molten lava to your legs. But generally hot waxing is believed to be more effective and less painful than warm i.e. strip wax :)
  • Options
    I like Sally Hansen. I've only waxed myself in years. Sugar wax for eyebrows and the maximum strength body wax in the blue for everything else. Sugar wax seems to weak to get out any thicker hairs.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I've used strip waxing kits to varying degrees of success. I find the veet strips (with wax already on the strips) quite handy for things like the bikini line and underarms, I'd say the pain is no more than getting it done professionally, but that depends on your own technique.

What's your technique then? Because I use veet wax strips occassionally, but it's always so painful I wonder if I'm doing it wrong. When I had it done professionally if wasn't even painful, just uncomfortable.
  • Options
    I've never had much luck with home waxing. It hurts a lot more than professional waxing, is messy and the results weren't very good (but then I'm not very skilled at this sort of thing).

I got an epilator this summer and have found that to be excellent and the results are quite like waxing - the re-growth is very fine, it lasts a lot longer than shaving. It is much easier than waxing oneself and less messy, and works out much cheaper than professional waxing would.
  • Options
    um yeah ...i had an "incident" with home waxing...i would not advise it hahaha...it may or may not involve my boyfriend having one eyebrow after i was finished haha:cool:
  • Options
    well, i'm never doing my bikini line with a razor ever again, i get really bad ingrown hairs :(

how much do people normally pay for bikini/leg wax
  • Options
    your probably looking at an easy 50/60 bucks...depending on the place
  • Options
    In London I've paid £36 for full leg and bikini line.

Outside London a fair bit less.

In Brazil it's about £1.50 but that's a bit far to go for it :D
  • Options
    was it good? tell me where cos thats a lot cheaper than what i was told it would be!
  • Options
    was it good? tell me where cos thats a lot cheaper than what i was told it would be!

It was excellent, one of the best waxes I've ever had! It was in Angel at this place:

Giovanni
    114, Upper St, London, N1 1QN
    Tel: 020 7226 5169

(except that on yell.com it says it's a hairdressers but certainly when I last went there it had beauty treatments downstairs)

I've not been there for ages though so check the prices as they may have gone up.