Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dentist / Orthodontics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, I've been for a check up this morning with my new NHS dentist and as far as he is concerned all I need is my temporary filling changed to a permanant one then he is happy; my teeth are sorted according to him.

But to me that only half of it. I want a nice smiilllleeeeee

To be able to do :D instead of :)

Now he did say he can refer me to an orthodontist but as I am 17 I would have to pay for it. And that would involve taking about eight teeth out and then brace-work at a guess. I could probably cope with the teeth out but then it is the braces. I don't want to be a big metal mouth; tried that when I was 13 and never again. They do a clear brace thing which is done privately at a couple of thousand pounds which seems unlikely to happen for me; although I think this would be an ideal solution for me.

So do I get this filling done and keep going on as I am

OR

Do I get this filling done and ask to be reffered to a orthadonist and see what they have to say?

I gave up 4/5 years ago with braces, is it worth starting all over again, with a price to pay this time soon.

Has anyone else had experience with braces as adults or of the clearstep ones??

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Well I'd ask yourself how you would feel in 10 years time if you didn't do this now... Would you regret not doing it? Or would you just be relieved that you didn't go through the braces thing?

I had loooooooooads of work done on my teeth from the age of 9 until I had my last brace took off when I was 15. I didn't find it too traumatic.
    What is it about them that you don't like the thought of? The look of them?

To be honest I don't think braces look tha bad... and I think they're worth the end product.
    Personally, if I had the money, I'd go for it if I were you.
  • Options
    id say get the filling done and get the referral, at least that way you will know what your options are and at the end of the day you aren't going to lose anything by going. Also there is only one person i've seen with braces that looks bad....and thats because he smokes (and doesn't use a smoker/whitening toothpaste) and he doesn't clean his teeth the way they show you to.

If you don't do it now you will most likely regret it later when your only option is veneers
  • Options
    8 teeth sounds like loads - I had 4 removed before braces - glad I had it done though cos my mouth would have been well overcrowded

Do you have wisdom teeth?

The metal braces are supposed to work better then the clear thing and faster.

I've seen people in their 30's have metal braces and don't forget even Tom Cruise had it done not long ago and if he can have metal braces I don't see why you can't either.

_38104313_tomcruise150.jpg
  • Options
    Ask for a refferal at least. Having a mouth full of metal is worth the pain and discomfort in the long run. I had to have 4 pre-molars out before my braces and had my bottom wisdom teeth out last year as well (which did move some of the teeth because of the way they grew through, but the change isnt very noticable)