Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Art school

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
What's the best selection of them? Anybody know? :chin:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Depends where you want to study.

In Scotland the best by reputation are Glasgow School of Art, Edinburgh College of Art and Duncan of Jordanstone (accredit by Dundee University). Not quite sure about England but Central Saint Martins in London seems to be the favourite, but I've also heard good things about Loughborough, Leeds and Newcastle. Some universities also offer arty courses so you should check out that.

I once heard that employers are more interested in the individual than the institute they were bred at when it comes to art-based subjects. A 1st is a 1st and 2.2 a 2.2, etc.
  • Options
    I once heard that employers are more interested in the individual than the institute they were bred at when it comes to art-based subjects. A 1st is a 1st and 2.2 a 2.2, etc.
    \

This is true...
  • Options
    oh alright, i don't really know what answer i was expecting, but i think you're right
  • Options
    What you studying and where you thinking of applying?
  • Options
    Some of my friends who do arty based subjects all went to demontfort uni, so maybe have a look at that?

Go for the university you feel at home best really - it will be the same course content generally throughout all of them.
  • Options
    If you can study in London, then the only choice is University of the Arts London, specifically Central Saint Martins. very highly regarded in the industry.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Some of my friends who do arty based subjects all went to demontfort uni, so maybe have a look at that?

Go for the university you feel at home best really - it will be the same course content generally throughout all of them.

it really wont.

well, in a way it will, because you will eventually get a (semi) free reign on the projects you do. but not every uni does the same stuff, or has the same equipment/support/standard.

(i did an 'arty' course at de montfort, and a lot of it was bollocks. although in retrospect, it wasnt as bad as i originally thought while i was there.)

basically, choose the course first, because wherever its based it should be easy enough to make friends, go out and generally be happy living there. there are exceptions to this, such as bradford and wrexham.;)
  • Options
    ''basically, choose the course first, because wherever its based it should be easy enough to make friends, go out and generally be happy living there. there are exceptions to this, such as bradford and wrexham.''

lol...
  • Options
    Glasgow School Of Art, but it's shitting hard to get into and you will turn into a cunt when you get in. You need to take lots of drugs and wear feather boas. I am not lying.
  • Options
    haha. right, i am warned..
    i'm just curious you see, i knew of the ones mentioned, i just thought i had maybe missed one somewhere
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Glasgow School Of Art, but it's shitting hard to get into and you will turn into a cunt when you get in. You need to take lots of drugs and wear feather boas. I am not lying.
    Are you there?
  • Options
    I beleive University College Falmouth has a high reputation when it comes to arts. Most of the courses there are based around art and design.
  • Options
    good art schools in london
  • Options
    I'm thinking of doing art. Isn't there any good places in the North West?
  • Options
    google it!
  • Options
    central st martins is supposed to be absolutely horrible to study at ive heard from people who have been there that some students will go around ruining other peoples work to make their own look better and there is very little space to work.
    Falmouths a really good place for fine art i looked there but wasnt good enough to get in....
    University college for the creative arts is good, its in kent, the canterbury section (where i am) used to have a fantasitc reputation until it changed its name an now no ones heard of it but on the whole its quite a nice place to study although they are kinda disorganised