Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

off the smoke..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
been off it for a whole week now, which mightn't sound like much but its the longest ive went in years without it

actually been coping quite well, have been drinking more tho so i haven't really had the hardest part.. trying to go asleep at night :crazyeyes

question is about it going out of your system.. apparently (sure some could confirm) that after a couple of weeks of not smoking it your head really starts to clear up (actually remembering stuff!? lol) .. which is all well and good but ive been sitting with my mates having a drink and everyones skinning up all sorts of joints and its too hard for me when im drinking .. so i'll take a single draw of the odd joint to get rid of the craving .. am i shooting myself in the foot by doing this? am i putting myself back to square one by having the odd draw here and there or will it not really make that much of a difference?

any other time im fine saying no to it, its just when im drinking heavily

any other info appreciated :angel:

Comments

• Options
    I'd say smoking the odd draw here and there won't do too much difference in the long run but it's sort of a cop out mentally, when you want to do something really badly but keep slipping up. I'd say start smoking fegs when drunk but sure that can lead to you getting hooked on them and I know you hate them anyway.

Fair play anyway. :thumb:
  • Options
    After a couple of days I could feel my head clear. I would usually wake up with a stoner-over and be well dopey until midday. Now when i wake up my mind is much clearer. I would say my memory is now improving (but thats taken months to happen) you memory wont improve overnight.

I know its difficult when a mate smokes infront of you. I used to live in a house with two other smokers and I found it impossible to stop when I knew there was green in the house. The odd smoke isnt going to mean disaster, but its really easy to think i will just have one spliff, then two, then ah fuck it might has well have a proper sesh :D

The problem I found with having a quick smoke is it would help me get a good nights sleep. Then I was back in the routine of needing a spliff to sleep. After a few weeks the insomnia will go, so try your best to stay off the green.

Some people say canabis isnt addictive, it may not be chemically addictive like tobacco but i certainly think its psychological addiction.

But the easiest way to quit, is to be doing it for the right reasons.

Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    I decided to try and go off it for a while too and today i just got such a craving i started ringing around asking for it...deffinetley is a psychological addiction...ive started trying to get fit again...that sort of takes your mind off it and then when you go to take a smoke you feel more guilty after doing what would seem like pointless exercise....cant wait for my memory to improve because at the minute its a fucking joke!
  • Options
    cant wait for my memory to improve because at the minute its a fucking joke!

I wouldnt expect miracles. Some people say smoking damages your memory permantly. I had a shit memory before I started smoking, so its hard to tell with me. But stopping smoking will help your memory from getting worse.
  • Options
    ah for fuck sake, good old insomnia kicking in :banghead:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I wouldnt expect miracles. Some people say smoking damages your memory permantly. I had a shit memory before I started smoking, so its hard to tell with me. But stopping smoking will help your memory from getting worse.

hmm i dunno my short term memory was shot to shit after 5 years in a haze but it is pretty good now i think, has to be for the sort of work i do anyways, just don't ask me what i had for lunch last tuesday :lol:
  • Options
    Cal has made some good points about what to expect. The stoner-overs are awful when you realise what it's like not to have one!

And ugh, my memory seems to get worse now I stopped smoking, as if I'm straight enough to realise I can't remember a whole 5 year period and some bits either side of it rofl.