Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, might be longwinded, might be nonsensical who knows but i just need to get this off my chest

I AM SICK to death of seeing the news reporting on our "Changing World" and the effects of climate change.

night after night there are reports on how much human activity is changing our world and will eventually lead to our untimely destruction.

ok

so its a given, human activity has changed our world and continues to do so, having a negative effect on the climate and ecosystem and yes, we do need to do something about it.

so heres my two cents worth

WOULD THE MEDIA KINDLY STOP SENDING A DOZEN F***ING REPORTERS TO THE ARCTIC ICE TO SHOW US IMAGES OF IT COLLAPSING INTO THE OCEANS.

we know its happening, we don't need you travelling thousands of miles via aircraft or whatever means, ADDING to the carbon emissions that are creating this problem anyway!!!

Another thing, when your there reporting the floodings that swept across this nation (and others) during the summer of 2007, don't hark on about how this is an obvious sign of climate change when your buzzing around in your f***ing helicopters! wouldn't be so bad if one news channel did it, but to have every one of them reporting on it. sending up whirly bird after whirly bird into the air to show us images of flooding that most of us are aware is happening, due to the fact we're up to our f***ing knees in it!!!

now I'm aware that me driving my car to work, instead of walking is also a contributing factor, and I'm doing my best to cut down on unnecessary energy consumption, can we please.....please just take a minute and think about the mindless f***s who deem it necessary to send hundreds of reporters across the world to get stupid images of Ice, floods, or even just stand at the site where a little girls being kidnapped ( i still hope she's found one day, but its never going to happen).

WHO in their right mind thinks we need to see a reporter standing in portugal telling us something they could have just said in a studio, without traveling internationally?! its a waste of time, money, resources and back to the original point, adds to the climate problem

I guess I'm starting to waver a little bit on my point here, but the main reason for this rant still remains,

to the media

dont you dare try to make me feel guilty about how I'm raping the world and its climate, when you're telling me from helicopters, or the arctic. you can do these things from the comfort of a studio... its cheaper. probably warmer, and you don't have to fart out carbon emissions from your chosen choice of transport to get there (other than perhaps a car or public transport.)

arh:shocking:

Comments

• Options
    Politics & Debate TBH

>>>>> That way...
  • Options
    I accidentaly put a polythene bag into the paper recycling bin at Sainsburys yesterday and my mate went fucking mental at me!

So the sun crashes down tomorrow you'll know who to blame.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I accidentaly put a polythene bag into the paper recycling bin at Sainsburys yesterday and my mate went fucking mental at me!

People like you should be fined, mind-less yobs :D
  • Options
    My mum shouts at me for not recycling properly.

What she fails to understand is that, having visited the landfill site where our waste is sent and seen this with my own eyes, half the fucking recycling goes to the landfill anyway.

I do tell people off at work though when they use bags that are WAY too big for their contents.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    O Rly?
  • Options
    Is there any reason why it's possible to recycle glass, but the council don't collect it?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Is there any reason why it's possible to recycle glass, but the council don't collect it?
    Because there are bottle banks?

ETA: And because it'd be too expensive to sort through all the different colours of glass themselves, hence the bottle banks. If one bottle of a different colour gets mixed in with one lot of glass (green with white, for example) it contaminates the whole lot, so that's why they're separated.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »

Council collect ours.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    ETA: And because it'd be too expensive to sort through all the different colours of glass themselves, hence the bottle banks. If one bottle of a different colour gets mixed in with one lot of glass (green with white, for example) it contaminates the whole lot, so that's why they're separated.

Doesn't matter. Mixed glass is used in road surfacing.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Council collect ours.

Same here. Cans and glass go into the same bin. I would assume that a magnet pulls out all the steel, then the aluminium is sorted by hand then the glass trundles off on it's own.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. Mixed glass is used in road surfacing.
    Won't that puncture the tyres? :lol:
  • Options
    eh, worlds gonna end in 2012 anyhow, history channel ran a week long thing on it, something to do with the Mayan callender.

Waters getting warm so you might at well go swimming while you can.
  • Options
    I suspect scientists and the media keep going on about it because, incredibly, unbelievably, inexplicably, there are people out there who still claim there is no such thing as man-made global warming or that it is nothing to worry about.

Worth keeping high on the agenda IMO. Far too many people still continue to act in selfish ways and pretend there is no problem at all.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I suspect scientists and the media keep going on about it because, incredibly, unbelievably, inexplicably, there are people out there who still claim there is no such thing as man-made global warming or that it is nothing to worry about.

Worth keeping high on the agenda IMO. Far too many people still continue to act in selfish ways and pretend there is no problem at all.

well its fair enough to want to tell people about it, to spread the word, but adding to the problem with unnecessary travel just annoys me.

you can still keep it on the agenda without wasting energy and adding to the carbon emissions with traveling round the world.

and yeah

the world apparently will end in 2012. or a "great cataclysmic" event will take place that will change life as we know it.

then again

maybe it won't

but

even if we survived that apparently in 2029 an asteroid is going to come close enough to Earth to possibly impact. So we're in for a treat then...

(wasn't the world supposed to end at the millenium?.....oh and some year on July the 4th?)
  • Options

Possibly because the evidence that man's influence on climate change isn't transparent enough.

Sure there is climate change - hell there always is, it's how the world works. The difficulty is in proving that man is causing it because you cannot prove what would happen without our influence. Other than to look back into the world history and that only shows that climate change happens anyway.
  • Options
    Sorry to just state the fucking obvious, but you don't really think that the BBC flies all of its corrospondants from London every time something happens do you? They live and work from there ffs.
  • Options
    Possibly because the evidence that man's influence on climate change isn't transparent enough.

Sure there is climate change - hell there always is, it's how the world works. The difficulty is in proving that man is causing it because you cannot prove what would happen without our influence. Other than to look back into the world history and that only shows that climate change happens anyway.
    What has been proven beyond reproach is that climate change is now happening at an unprecedented speed- one for which there is no parallel in the known geological history of this planet.

And the ONLY explanation for that completely unusual and unprecedented behaviour is man intervention.

To put it simply, many ecosystems and countless species of flora and fauna will not be able to adapt to the changes. Not to mention weather systems.

It is also rather foolish to suggest, as some do, that since the climate change happens naturally over periods of time it does not matter if it does it faster than it would do normally. That's rather like a 30 year old man cutting his wrist accidentally in an industrial accident and deciding not to do anything about it and bleed to death because in 40 or 50 years he'd be dead anyway.
  • Options
    It is also rather foolish to suggest, as some do, that since the climate change happens naturally over periods of time it does not matter if it does it faster than it would do normally. That's rather like a 30 year old man cutting his wrist accidentally in an industrial accident and deciding not to do anything about it and bleed to death because in 40 or 50 years he'd be dead anyway.

The one that always makes me laugh (admittedly from fundie Christians) is that we're arrogant to think that our actions could be causing the world to heat up. Presumably they feel the same way about the o-zone layer? God decided we could all do with BBQing a bit. :chin:
  • Options
    Sorry to just state the fucking obvious, but you don't really think that the BBC flies all of its corrospondants from London every time something happens do you? They live and work from there ffs.

so the ITV has reporters permanently based in the arctic and antarctic?!

fair point tho, I guess my rant about the news coming live from the scene in a different country is a seperate one, I still don't understand why I need to see a reporter stood in a town square telling me the story.

a classic example was on the local news when a helicopter crashed, they sent a reporter to the area to gt some decent shots of tragedy so she could report, but instead she was stood in front of a hedge....and that was all.. complete waste of time etc.

but if you read the rest of my post, theres more to it, ie the floods and the amount of helicopters they sent up and so on and so forth.
  • Options
    What has been proven beyond reproach is that climate change is now happening at an unprecedented speed- one for which there is no parallel in the known geological history of this planet.

And the ONLY explanation for that completely unusual and unprecedented behaviour is man intervention.

Why is that the only explanation?

Surely it's just an explanation.

I think that the question is more, will anything that we do actually make any difference? The answer lies in whatever is causing global warming in the first place and how long it would take for things to turn around assuming that man is really the cause.
  • Options
    Why is that the only explanation?

Surely it's just an explanation.
    Perhaps I should have said the only rational, plausible and logical explanation.
  • Options
    te he, good rant. People do tend to go about it, in their 4x4s and from their private jets. The pop stars flying all over the world to do enviro awwareness concerts make me laugh.
  • Options
    Perhaps I should have said the only rational, plausible and logical explanation.

Apart from the nature one.
  • Options
    No act of nature could ever be responsible for the rate of increase of temperature we have seen in the last century or so.

Man-made pollution on the other hand...
  • Options
    Why not?

If the only basis for the claim is the rate then it's pretty flimsy evidence.
  • Options
    But that's all the evidence you need (not that it's the only one).

Reactions by chemical elements are predictable. Something happens, which will lead to something else.

There is absolutely NOTHING that has happened in the last 100 years in the natural world that has been any different to any other century for the last few tens of thousands of years. Unless you believe there is an as yet unknown and undetected mysterious phenomena capable of such incredible changes on the planet's climate we have somehow failed to notice.

You might as well believe in acts of God then and join the fundies and the ultra neocon right wingers' corner. Me, I'd rather stay on the side of the overwhelming evidence backed by just about every last scientist who isn't on the payroll of an oil corporation.
  • Options
    So you dine with different scientists than i/we do, doesn't mean they're right.
  • Options
    They are though aren't they.

Let's face it, can you say for certain anyone is right about anything at all?

As far as I'm concerned we can be as sure of global warming being at least partially man made as of the Earth being round (or a sphere to be correct).

Hell, there almost certainly has been more evidence published with regard to global warming than to the Earth being round. I guess some people won't be convinced regardless- that cannot be helped. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything about it.
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned we can be as sure of global warming being at least partially man made as of the Earth being round (or a sphere to be correct).

its oblate :p
  • Options
    its a fact that climate change happens

its a fact that mankind is contributing to it

the keyword being that we are contributing.

climate change happens, it happened approx 10,000 years ago and who knows how many times before that

it appears to be an inevitable process, that we as humans, are speeding up.

it goes hand in hand with belching out greenhouse gasses every second we have on this green Earth.

that's not to say that "Oh well it's gonna happen anyway".

we should still do somethign about it, but IMO the damage may have already been done.

realistically, how are we supposed to "cool" the planet, if it is a natural process then it suggests to me that there isnt' a great deal we can do, anything we do will just delay it.

maybe we should instead focus on how to deal with the change when it happens.

I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm hungover and the doom and gloom is setting in (especially because my brothers just started drilling holes in (my head) the wall.....

but it does seem a little futile to try and stop 6 billion+ people from screwing the planet and changing a natural process...