Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Another Republican anti-gay Senator caught in the act

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,2160810,00.html

Don't you just love it :D

Hypocrite bastards. Hopefully there'll be more to come.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hahahahaha. Why is it the most homophobic people that always seem to end up getting caught in the act.

On a similar note, Ted Haggard is completely heterosexual.
  • Options
    Makes sense to me. The dude views being gay as that dark, sick, secret that he is completely ashamed of, therefore anyone who shares that same secret but doesn't view it as wrong must be (in his eyes) sickos.

Seriously though, with an attitude like that you'd think he'd know better than to touch strange men in bathroom stalls.
  • Options
    It kinda supports my theory that the biggest homophobics are those that really have something to hide themselves .... a heterosexual person who is completely comfortable with their sexuality, while maybe not understanding the attraction of two people of the same sex, will live and let live.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think it's generally common knowledge that most homophobes are homosexual themselves.
  • Options
    I think it's also symptomatic of American society at large, to survive in politics you must have family and moral credentials. It's a shame you can't really come out and have the support of your people behind you. It'll ultimately drive people like this to toilet stalls and shit like that, he needed the anonymity.

ETA: I don't think it's a laughing matter, quite a shame actually.
  • Options
    I think it's generally common knowledge that most homophobes are homosexual themselves.

Evidence?
  • Options
    Evidence?
    None really, I just remember reading it. :p
  • Options
    Guessed as much. It's an easy accusation to make but there's bugger all evidence
  • Options
    Evidence?

It certainly seems to be an area of study with some scientific merit. Here's one report. Of course sexual arousal doesn't necessarily make someone homosexual. And of course most homophobes aren't gay.
  • Options
    This doesnt make sense to me, surely if you were gay/bi/curious you'd be understanding and supportive of gay rights?
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    This doesnt make sense to me, surely if you were gay/bi/curious you'd be understanding and supportive of gay rights?
    Not if for some reason (religion for example) you thought it was evil or a sickness.
  • Options
    Tapping feet and hand gestures in a toilet...nothing actually took place. And nothing would have ever took place as it was an undercover sting operation. If consenting adults - whoever they are (and ignoring any hypocrisy) wish to have sex in a toilet cubicle I don't think it should be a criminal offence. And don't the police have better things to do than go undercover and try and catch people who might be looking for sex with another consenting adult?

I've no idea if the Senator in question is gay or not and tbh I don't really care. And I couldn't care what his position on gay marriage or gay adoption is, unless he thinks people should be hounded for what they might have done with a consenting adult he's hardly the biggest hypocrite in the world.
  • Options
    I love you Dis, you'll defend anything provided it comes with a Republican badge :lol:
  • Options
    Tapping feet and hand gestures in a toilet...nothing actually took place.

Soliciting gay sex is an illegal offence in the U.S.
    And don't the police have better things to do than go undercover and try and catch people who might be looking for sex with another consenting adult?

Could say the same for a lot of things the police do.
  • Options
    I wonder whether he'd be forced to resign if he was a gay-rights campaigning Democrat.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I wonder whether he'd be forced to resign if he was a gay-rights campaigning Democrat.

Erm... he wouldn't be a hypocrite then :confused:
  • Options
    Erm... he wouldn't be a hypocrite then

He'd still be forced to resign.
  • Options
    Not so sure, even with the homophobic US...
  • Options
    Not so sure, even with the homophobic US...

He's not some two bit Mayor, he's a Senator. They're not supposed to be getting up to that behaviour; gay, republican or otherwise. It's the same here, the Tories are traditionally anti-immigration and right-wing but even the slighest hint of racism among a member then "out the fuck" it is with that person. The Democrats would gang up on him as well if he was a member of their party.
  • Options
    Well there are two possible causes for a resignation: the legal point of view, and the policy/hypocrisy.

If the law has been broken then the politician should resign regardless of his stance on the issue.

However had his acts not been illegal then it would depend entirely of the person's stance on the issue. A pro-gay rights politician would have all the right in the world to keep his post, while an anti-gay one should resign in shame for supreme hypocrisy and general cuntiness.

It's very similar to MPs here having extra-marital affairs. It was right for those Tories to resign in the 1990s when they and their party were bothering everyone with their 'back to basics' morality campaign bollocks. A politician who doesn't lecture others about morality and fidelity does not necessarily need to resign at all.