Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New college

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Im starting college tomorrow and I'm quite scared ... I don't know anyone else whose going except two, one whose a mate and she's taking a completely different course to me and the other is this boy I've been talking to but he's doing multi-trades.

Has any one got any advice or anything and I don't know what to wear either

And another thing I'm generally pretty confident but when I am by myself and I don't know any one I can be a bit quiet/shy to start with ..

I didn't realise I was this nervous until today actually !
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I had this at the beginning of last year.
    I spent my first year of sixth form college in the sixth form of my old school, so I knew everybody. However I fucked around, messed up my exams, always missed lessons and basically screwed up, partly because it was still my old school with the same teachers e.t.c.
    So then I moved to another college for my second year, which was just a sixth form college and had no school attached to it. I kind of knew a small handful of people that went there straight from school, but no one else. It is scary at first, but exciting aswell.
    You'll meet people, and you usually end up meeting people with the same sorts of interests as you aswell, you'll have fun. :)
  • Options
    Look at it as an opportunity to make loads new friends! I don't know if you've got a boyfriend a not but think of all the super hot men that are going to be there!

Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. No point dressing up if it you're gonna end up stumbling around all day in pain cos of heels.

Good Luck:)
  • Options
    Yeah i am looking forward to meet loads of people because i love meeting new people and that just get a bit nervous every now and then.

Na I wouldn't wear heels on the first day I'll stick to flatties

Thanks though :)
  • Options
    Just wear something Casual =]
  • Options
    when i started college i went somewhere that was nearly 30 miles from where i lived, i didn´t know the area, or anyone at the college.

just wear what you would wear any other day and just make sure you don´t cut yourself off from other people on the course.
  • Options
    just wear what you would wear any other day and just make sure you don´t cut yourself off from other people on the course.

:yes:

I went to 6th form at school, so I can't give any advice on this.
  • Options
    and they still didn´t let you wear your own clothes? christ thats harsh...
  • Options
    If that was aimed at me, we were able to wear our own clothes, but were really restricted. I remember the boys moaning because they weren't allowed to wear shorts, unless they were doing BTEC PE.
  • Options
    I went to college last september, where I didn't know a single person. It's very odd how the minute you get in class, and see how nervous everyone else is, you find yourself settling in so quickly. After the first 10 minutes I had settled in...
  • Options
    Everyone's going to be feeling the same so I wouldn't worry. Just be yourself!

I started out at my 6th form at school then left after a month and joined a course at college, everyone there had already known each other for a month and were all pretty good friends! I was really nervous then. The same thing happened at the beginning of this year when I changed unis, I had to join to different groups and make friends all over again :rolleyes: But I'm pretty shy and I managed it :)
  • Options
    Im starting college tomorrow and I'm quite scared ... I don't know anyone else whose going except two, one whose a mate and she's taking a completely different course to me and the other is this boy I've been talking to but he's doing multi-trades.

Has any one got any advice or anything and I don't know what to wear either

And another thing I'm generally pretty confident but when I am by myself and I don't know any one I can be a bit quiet/shy to start with ..

I didn't realise I was this nervous until today actually !

Have a good time! :thumb:
  • Options
    last year i started my A Levels at an FE college that's bloody miles from where i live, but i chose it because it was the right place for me. if yours is the right place for you, then you'll be absolutely fine. college is great, you meet so many new and interesting people who actually want to learn.

good luck :)