Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sevilla's Antonio Puerta Dies Aged 22

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6964586.stm

He suffered a heart attack during the game against Getafe on Saturday and was in intensive care until he died this afternoon. Its horrifying to hear that an athlete died or such a thing at such a young age. Rest in Peace.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Heard about this on Sky Sports News. Absolute tragedy. I watched the Sevilla game at the weekend when he collapsed. It looked bad but then he got up and walked off the pitch, looking fine. But obviously he wasn't. He was only 22 and a really promising player. Apparently he was expecting a baby soon as well. Really sad news. R.I.P.
  • Options
    Fuck me. I saw him collapse the other day, but it didn't look too bad on the news. He was conscious when he left the pitch. It's really sad news. I haven't seen him play, but he'd have to be pretty talented to get in that team. RIP.
  • Options
    Shit one. :(

Actually happens more than you think, quite ironic people being really fit and dying of heart attacks playing sport.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Shit one. :(

Actually happens more than you think, quite ironic people being really fit and dying of heart attacks playing sport.

Yea, it happened one of my brother's best friends. He was well into his sports and in real good shape. Just collapsed dead during a game of tennis one day. Scary.
  • Options
    Sad news, RIP :(
  • Options
    Proof that "shit happens"

RIP
  • Options
    Shit thats terrible! Condolences to his family.

RIP
  • Options
    Kinda puts all the bitching about referees, wages, clubs, organisations and all the stupid shit that people moan about in football in unfortunate perspective.

Rest in peace hermano.
  • Options
    RIP.

As a mark of respect the Sevilla & AEK Athens game has been postponed.
  • Options
    Really shocking.
    RIP
  • Options
    Terrible news. Girlfriend is 8 months pregnant as well. What a senseless death and tragic death. Poor, poor lad :(
  • Options
    With Marc Vivien Foe, Miklos Feher and Antonio Puerta all dying of heart failure, does something need to be done about the pressure put on top players these days?
  • Options
    Absolutely tragic, he had recently been capped by the spanish national team and had so much promise.

RIP
  • Options
    Thats harsh at such a young age.
  • Options
    Another footballer is ill but hopefully it'll be ahappy ending in this case. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/6968099.stm
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/6969607.stm
    Zambia's Chaswe Nsofwa has died today after collapsing in training. Whats going on?!
  • Options
    Its shocking and so sad.

I was in Barcelona this week and saw a tribute to Puerta on tv after the Barca-Milan match (i was at the stadium earlier that day! :P) Crowds were gathered outside the hospital, crying, ppolice lined the streets and the Seville team and coach followed the hurst and they took the coffin into the Seville stadium. It was like a state funeral or somthing! Crazy, but so very sad.

Rip
  • Options
    Just gounf this on the BBc Sport Gossip Column:

PFA chief Gordon Taylor wants annual heart checks for players to become compulsory after the number of recent health scares.

This does seem like a good idea to me, tbh.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Just gounf this on the BBc Sport Gossip Column:

PFA chief Gordon Taylor wants annual heart checks for players to become compulsory after the number of recent health scares.

This does seem like a good idea to me, tbh.

I'm surprised they don't do them already. I used to have to get checks at school when I played rugby.