Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Moisturiser

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ola! :wave:

I've got quite good skin, I rarely get blemishes and hardly ever get spots, but I have trouble with dry skin in my t-zone. I use Simple moisturising face wash and boots intensive moisturiser but it's no better. Can anyone reccommend a really good moisturiser? I don't mind spending a bit if it'll work. Cheers my hunnies

Comments

• Options
    I use oil of olay. I used to get really dry skin when I was about 9 or 10 and my mum used that, it really sorted it out and I've used it ever since. My mum uses it too and has for like 30 odd years! It's not that expensive either and does last for ages.
  • Options
    dont start moisturising if you arent prepared to cleanse and tone, but if you are then clinique does a decent range...or if you want to go all out, then la mer is AMAZING!
  • Options
    Nivea Soft is the best moisturiser I've found and I've tried expensive ones, a big pot of it is about 4 quid.
  • Options
    I had a sample recently of Garnier Nutritionist Omega Skin serum free from a magazine which was really good - I've been considering buying it but have made a decision to try and buy products not tested on animals and I think Garnier stuff might be :( Everything I like seems to be, it sucks.
  • Options
    I use Nivea Soft Intensive Moisturising Cream.

Oh so does Glittery just realised that but it is good stuff!
  • Options
    I have dry skin on my face and I just use E45 in the morning before I put my foundation on and then again after a shower at night.

Has got rid of my dry skin, better than any specially for spots
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    I use Nivea Soft Intensive Moisturising Cream.

Oh so does Glittery just realised that but it is good stuff!
    Me too. It's the best moisturiser I've found so far. I am trying out a big tub of Astral to see if it works as well on me as it does on Joanna Lumley :thumb:
  • Options
    I use Boots Botanics moisturiser. One for Day and one for Night. I really like it.
  • Options
    This might sound strange, but are you getting enough fat in your diet? I used to have quite dry skin (and those pimples often found on the upper arms) and I started taking a fish oil suppliment (and used more olive oil in cooking + salads) and I found my skin improved loads with it.

As for moisturiser, I use the jojoba one from the body shop. It's quite rich, but not greasy.
  • Options
    Astral is good shit

Now I am going to go and cut my testicles off in shame
  • Options
    I use E45 on my hands and face.
  • Options
    Moisturiser

The best moisturiser for your skin is to drink at least 2 litres of water a day. Trust me, increasing your intake of water will make a noticeable difference in your skin in hours.
    When it comes to choosing a moisturiser however, I stress you to avoid clinque. That overpriced shit dries your skin out. Look for something that is for dry skin.
    Also, increase your intake of vitamins A, B complex, C and E. Supplements work well.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I use oil of olay. I used to get really dry skin when I was about 9 or 10 and my mum used that, it really sorted it out and I've used it ever since. My mum uses it too and has for like 30 odd years! It's not that expensive either and does last for ages.
    my vote is for Olay too.

My T-zone is very dry too, it's the air conditioning in my office that drys it out.

I use one of the cheapest Olay ones, I can't remember what it's called but it's a sensitive skin one (Some moisturisers I tried brought me out in a rash) only cost me about £6 and contains SPF 15 which is always good, comes in quite a big bottle as well.

It hasn't cured my problem because if I don't use it for a couple of days then my face dries out again but using it every day it's very good and makes a great base for make up too and it absorbs really quickly.
  • Options
    I've started using Nivea soft and it's amazing. Thanks for the advice, ladies :heart:
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    dont start moisturising if you arent prepared to cleanse and tone, but if you are then clinique does a decent range...or if you want to go all out, then la mer is AMAZING!

cleanse and tone? Isn't that just washing your face (cleanse) and the water acts as a toner?

Someone tell me coz I've never really understood this.
  • Options
    Cleansing, opens your pores and cleans the skin, toning closes the pores and prepares the skin for moisturising which hydrates the skin.

You can get cleansers as soap bars, creams or foaming face wash, all are good its just a case of which one works best and is easiest for you to use (i use a gel foaming cleanser as i wash my face in the shower).

A toner is used afterwards, these can be very drying (usually containing a lot of alcohol....for oily skin) or gentle and have a lower alcohol content (some have none) for normal dry, and sensitive skin.

Then comes the moisturiser...

If you only cleanse and moisturise you end up with huge pores
    If you only tone and moisturise then your pores don't get cleaned as well and will eventually get clogged
    If you only cleanse and tone, you will have dehydrated skin
    And if you only moisturise, your skin may appear to be greasy and there is a bigger chance of pores getting clogged which leads to pimples and blackheads

ETA: I wouldn't use normal soap as a cleanser as it is very drying and i dont think it actually opens up the pores
  • Options
    I love toners. Maybe its just me but I think they smell real nice too. I've got the most to die for one, but I split it with my mom to try it out so I have no idea what the brand is as its in a nail polish remover bottle :(

But I third/fourth/whatever its at for the olay line. I just use the all day w/ spf for sensitive skin. I like the consistancy too, some are real runny but they aren't.

And agree with the water statement.
  • Options
    LIDL Supermarket does a good one called Q10 Anti-Wrinkle and then do it in Day and night versions - the day version has SPF 8 I think in it.

A few people on here also recon it's good stuff

http://tinyurl.com/2kqv9m

We have a jar of it in our bathroom - I don't use it very often, mainly cos I'm not in the habit of using creams but after you've just showered and shaved and on your way out it's quite good to use to stop your skin looking dried out.