Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

2MB of UK Hosting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've totally reduced the size of my website from like 170MB to 2MB - was hosted in the USA cos of Bandwidth needs but now I've outsourced most of the bandwidth hungry stuff - like all my 1,500+ photos are now on Google - which is a huge time saver for me compared to uploading it the old way and video's are on YouTube or Google Video with just a link from my site.

Cos My site is about London I want it hosted back in the UK so it appears on Google.co.uk which is doesn't at the moment (well not when you say find me UK only sites)

So that's basically it - need a cheap, fast UK host for my domain names and 2MB to 3MB of hosting. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    Try http://www.purplecloud.com/home/

100MB disk space, 500MB monthly data transfer, 1 database, 5 mailboxes, 10 redirects.... £10 p/m. But if your still with Micfo why bother moving as their only about 4 quid for their cheapest, and you can get moved on to a UK server if you ask them.
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    Try http://www.purplecloud.com/home/

100MB disk space, 500MB monthly data transfer, 1 database, 5 mailboxes, 10 redirects.... £10 p/m. But if your still with Micfo why bother moving as their only about 4 quid for their cheapest, and you can get moved on to a UK server if you ask them.

Signed up with Micfo for 3 years but they've been a pain several times moving the server I was using - about 5 times I think in the first 18 months and when I was using PHP MySQL was really slow at times.

I did enquire about moving to a UK server but there was some big price tag to move. And customer service has gone down a lot in the last 2.5 years since joining them.

I was with Purplecloud to begin with and had to move away as my bandwidth got bigger (mainly cos of the online photos I had on the site) but those are going on Google now so could move back - only PurpleCloud charge a lot of Domain names..

But I guess I can have one wit them and maybe host the other versions of the name with GoDaddy or something?
  • Options
  • Options
    http://www.freevirtualservers.com/free-hosting.htm

Why not try these guys out. Hosting package is free and pretty decent
  • Options
    Gavman wrote: »
    http://www.freevirtualservers.com/free-hosting.htm

Why not try these guys out. Hosting package is free and pretty decent

Looks good BUT they're only offering 100MB of bandwidth per month.

if my site is about 2MB in total ... 50 visitors and I've already gone over the limit. Not to mention search engines indexing the site, etc.

The £15 a year package looks alright .. will keep them in mind for other things in the future .. thanks!
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »

Cool, is this the site run by people form this forum?

Price is right and so is the Monthly Bandwidth by the looks of it. According to my logs the most bandwidth I used is 2.06GB in July 2007 and that was before I just redid the site and removed all the photos and put them on Google and some other stuff, so not expecting to get that kind of traffic again unless the changes I've made this week help in the old search engine rankings.

Quite funky looking .. if so what's the procedure to move an existing Domain name over or can I move my Domain name to a 3rd party and just point it towards Safari servers?

And they're using CPanel which is good only thing I think is Cpanel doesn't have the option to have an email autorepsonder WITH an attachment?

I know I had a site with Plesk on it and this was a very handy option as many people that use my site don't have internet access at work but do have full email service - so id they couldn't actually see the website I could give them an email address to send a blank email to and it would respond with an automated email and PDF attachment which was basically a copy of the webpage with all the information on it... very handy feature.
  • Options
    No no one from this form i believe.

I know the story of why they set it up and why its so different to others because they wanted to offer something different rather then the same old hosting companys you see on the net.

I'm not sure about those questions your better off using their contact form
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    No no one from this form i believe.

I know the story of why they set it up and why its so different to others because they wanted to offer something different rather then the same old hosting companys you see on the net.

I'm not sure about those questions your better off using their contact form

I remember that too but remember it more as being why they've got that safari design.
  • Options
    Anyway just signed up to Safari even got a 25% discount so only £.750p for 2GB of traffic. Lets see how it works out thanks for the heads up!!
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I remember that too but remember it more as being why they've got that safari design.

Because they are called Safari Host :D
  • Options
    Well so far so good, uploaded my website to them - you can certainly see the speed difference of being hosted in the UK over the USA.
  • Options
    Wehey!