Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Check Up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am thinking about going for a STD Check because since i have split up with my ex i have gone a little bit bezerk and practically shagged everything that has offered me it, i was wondering what i should be expecting as a male when i got for a check up, is there pain, what do they do?

Any Help Appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    I'm female so not entirely sure. But..I imagine they'll take a few samples of maybe blood, urine and sperm?
  • Options
    "For males, the procedure is simpler. In most cases, a quick examination of the pubic area, penis and scrotum is performed, with the man lying on his back. In certain cases, the anus or in the throat are examined.

Usually, you will be asked to provide a specimen of urine to test for chlamydia (and gonorrhoea in some cases) but if you have symptoms of urethritis the doctor will take a swab from the urethra instead. This involves inserting a very fine swab a short distance into the urethra and gently rotating it to collect any inflammatory cells or organisms. This test is uncomfortable, but only lasts a few seconds."
  • Options
    they will take samples of your blood... pain... I don't think so :thumb:
  • Options
    blood and swabs
    they will only do blood if you ask for it
  • Options
    I've heard they shove something down your hole and it hurts loads.

There might be other ways too tho, not sure.
  • Options
    Had one earlier this week mate, they just give you a piss test and if you think you've been exposed to hiv or syphillis, a blood test too.
    Nothing to worry about really just the feeling of being judged while you sit in the waiting room
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey there,
    Sounds like a very sensible decision to me. As icey says, it's nothing to worry about :)

Check out our visiting a GUM Clinic FAQ - has info you will hopefully find useful.

Take it easy.
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Had one earlier this week mate, they just give you a piss test and if you think you've been exposed to hiv or syphillis, a blood test too.
    Nothing to worry about really just the feeling of being judged while you sit in the waiting room

Nothing to do with the thread i guess, but it seems well unfair that guys just have to do a urine test and a blood test, but girls have the whole metal speculum thing haha! well evil! do guys not have to have anything else apart from urine and blood tests?
  • Options
    GhostGirl wrote: »

There might be other ways too tho, not sure.

I know someone who had it done, and you're right - they stick a kind of cotton bud thing down there, and it does hurt.

Sorry, you probably don't want to hear that but I guess at least you can be prepared.

Lecture time: Use a condom next time!! It's not cool to have unprotected sex with lots of people because who knows what you might catch (and give to others!). *Lecture over* :yes:
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    just the feeling of being judged while you sit in the waiting room

tho' everyone in there is in the same boat
  • Options
    GhostGirl wrote: »

Yes they do!!! Think its a cotton bud.
  • Options
    I've never had that and ive been checked out a few times, only ever had the urine test and the occasional lecture
  • Options
    My fella had it done when he went to get checked out, said it kills! It also stang when he went for a piss!!
  • Options
    you can have such tests done by your GP as well cant you?