Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do you handle fear?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I hope i'm posting this in the right forum, so I was just wondering how does everyone cope or live with there fears. I don't mean physical like fear of a lion eating you but emotional fear. Fear of failure, of success, people, fear that your missing out. Thats a fear that i'm personaly really terrified of myself. I used to cope through complusive behavior but i've tried to put more effort into facing my fears, but the subject interrest me so much I was just curious how others deal with this universal feeling. I was always taught that it was powerful to reveal your fears and weaknesses but I could be wrong :p

Comments

• Options
    I kinda know what you mean mate. I suffer from similar things quite often. I'll have a couple of days where I'm so down, thinking I'm just drifting through life, and everyone's ahead of me, and I've made a mess of all my potential and that I'm gonna end up alone bla bla. And like you, I get all compulsive, thinking that by making lists of all the stuff I have to do or obsessively trying to sort things out is gonna make it better. But then, I have a decent length of time when I'm in a positive frame of mind and I can look at things from an objective point of view without fear or emotion getting in the way. And I come to a few conlusions:

1) It's a cliche, but there are millions of people that are far worse off than me.
    2) An awful lot of the stuff I worry about or fear is actually out of my control and is therefore not worth the worry. Only bother worrying about the stuff you can change.
    3) I look around and assess all the people who when I'm down I think have done alot better than me or are more focused me, and I actually realise that I have more talents than most of them and am just as motivated, likeable, clever etc as them.
    4) The little things I worry about when I'm down on myself are just that - little things. When I'm positive I just think what's the point? Who gives a shit?

I could go on, but the point is, when I stop being down on myself and just look at things from a positive view for a while I realise I'm perfectly worthy and I'm just fine. What I really need to work on is being able to turn the positiveness on when I'm having a bad patch. Easier said than done, but hey, I'm getting closer. As for the bad patches, I still put alot of it down to youthful angst. Not knowing exactly who I am or where I wanna go, but hopefully eventually I'll work that out and when I'm settled a few clouds will be lifted. I think being fearful of failure or worrying about life now and again is not an altogether bad trait to have - because it can motivate you to better yourself or get out of your comfort zone. You just gotta channel it right like I'm trying to do - don't let it beat you up, use it to your advantage...
  • Options
    If it was a snake, I would run, and wouldnt stop. :D

But emotional fears are different. Again I think i tend to run away or try and ignore them. Out of sight out of mind.

Im certainly no expert but I think the best way to deal with your fears is to tackle them head on.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I used to be very non-confrontational about my fears. I'd hide it within and be very passive thinking by being 'strong' I'd deal. I had the world on my shoulders, pretty much.

I started working on facing my fears a while ago and I try to do that today. I worked on my self esteem a lot so now I'm not engulfed by fear of how people perceive me. I'm finally free to be myself.

Some things still affect me, but I am more effective in dealing with it. I try not to think too much about things out of my control (like the future and especially the past) and focus on tackling my day to day life.
  • Options
    joeman wrote: »
    Fear of failure, of success
    What do you mean fear of success? Like Kurt Cobain style not able to handle fame / press / publicity? Or thinking once you've achieved success you'll always strive for more?
  • Options
    The idea of being successful, of feeling good, can be terrifying to someone who is mired in feelings of depression and self-loathing. It's such a challenge to a mindset that you are used to that you end up being scared of it.

The only way you can really deal with fear is to confront it face-on. I used to put on a confident front to get over the fear of new things and people, and I've now got so used to the front that it is what I am. Getting a job where you are forced to confront the fear every day will help a lot.
  • Options
    I always bury my head in the sand! Always the wrong thing to do, but always what I do do!:no:
  • Options
    joeman wrote: »
    I hope i'm posting this in the right forum, so I was just wondering how does everyone cope or live with there fears. I don't mean physical like fear of a lion eating you but emotional fear. Fear of failure, of success, people, fear that your missing out. Thats a fear that i'm personaly really terrified of myself. I used to cope through complusive behavior but i've tried to put more effort into facing my fears, but the subject interrest me so much I was just curious how others deal with this universal feeling. I was always taught that it was powerful to reveal your fears and weaknesses but I could be wrong :p

i get like this sometimes too, i tend to get it when i like somebody (im terrible at approaching/letting girls know i like them) i think why would they ever like me theres so many taller/cleverer/better looking/funnier blokes about so i get terrified of rejection and terrified they will find out, i usually cope by talking to a close friend about how i feel, posting here :) or just bullying myself into biting the bullet and facing my fear, luckily some girls think the fact that i shake and stutter when i ask them out is kinda sweet
  • Options
    snip

I completely agree with what you said Luke, it's true that emotions are going to be like a rollarcoaster ride with it's various ups and downs, really I think overcoming fear is trying to control or positively influence your unconscious. I also agree that fear has it's uses for reflection and contemplation but when it's fear that set your limits instead of your reasoning and logic then thats when problems start to occur.

Kermit wrote:
    The idea of being successful, of feeling good, can be terrifying to someone who is mired in feelings of depression and self-loathing. It's such a challenge to a mindset that you are used to that you end up being scared of it.

The only way you can really deal with fear is to confront it face-on. I used to put on a confident front to get over the fear of new things and people, and I've now got so used to the front that it is what I am. Getting a job where you are forced to confront the fear every day will help a lot.

Thats what i've thought as well, to face your fears, get out of your comfort zone, etc. It helps when you have support but most of the time it's something that you'll have to do yourself.
    nicolalou wrote:
    I always bury my head in the sand! Always the wrong thing to do, but always what I do do!

Thats what I used to do all my life as well but recent events have pushed me enough to leave my comfort zone, just to see if those fears are really there or not.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    If it was a snake, I would run, and wouldnt stop. :D

And then some ... :nervous:
  • Options
    I act apathetic.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

that is exactly how i feel at the moment. :/
  • Options
    Truth be told, a side of me is terrified of me somehow becoming a success, or doing something good with my life. It's why I struggle to be positive about almost anything, and gives no end of headaches to friends of mine. Therapy sessions have helped me understand why I think like this, but it's horrendously difficult to change this now.
  • Options
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Yeah, I made that up.

Okay, not really, it was Marianne Williamson. I would've left the God bullshit out. :p
  • Options
    I use white powder... just kidding ;)