Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

HIIT and knee problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
not sure if this should have gone in the gym rat threads, but just a question. have been reading about all this HIIT stuff, and am wondering how suitable it is for people with knee problems. my family has a huge history of knee problems, and whilst i haven't got anything diagnosed myself, i have been advised to go for low impact exercise rather than high impact. guessing that means its not advisable to try this? i do take glucosamine and cod liver oil to help stop any deterioration. anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Options
    not sure if this should have gone in the gym rat threads, but just a question. have been reading about all this HIIT stuff, and am wondering how suitable it is for people with knee problems. my family has a huge history of knee problems, and whilst i haven't got anything diagnosed myself, i have been advised to go for low impact exercise rather than high impact. guessing that means its not advisable to try this? i do take glucosamine and cod liver oil to help stop any deterioration. anyone got any advice?

HIIT - you can do running (high impact), rowing/cross trainer/bike (zero impact :D ). It's all to do with how you structure the training, as opposed to meaning it has to be high impact etc etc.

Could be worth asking the opinion of a professional, but it you don't have any problems, sticking to the low/zero impact exercises means I think you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Hmm...see i quite like going on the treadmill brisk walking, cos i'm not really supposed to do running. and the cross trainer does my knees in too...perhaps as i gain strength i can add in some rowing/bike stuff. cool, thanks
  • Options
    you should take a look at www.kneeguru.co.uk the best site there is and the bulletin board's pretty good for answering questions knowledgably.