Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

getting my g/f on the pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do i go about it, can we buy theem from a pharmacy? or should we see a doctor, if so which one? a sexual health clinic or a normal gp... does she have to have tests or anything?

because weve decided its a good idea so has anyone here got any advice :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Just tell her to go to her local GP's and all she has to say is that she would like to go on the pill. They will ask a few questions, take her weight and blood pressure and should give you some for free.
  • Options
    really its that easy... cheers squal
  • Options
    Pretty much, that's what happened when I went a few years a go anyway :) Good Luck :thumb:
  • Options
    Yup, basically that easy.

The questions get slightly more tricky is she has irregular periods, is significantly overweight or smokes.

Depending on how the GP is feeling she may get some general speil about contraception and have to show she understands how condoms are better because they protect against STIs, and then another speil about the pill and how it works.

Then she'll get a prescription for 3 months worth, which you take to the pharmacy like any other prescription and tick the box on the back under the charges bit that says 'Has been prescribed free of charge contraceptives', so it's free.

Also worth being aware that she should start taking it on the first day of her period.
  • Options
    Scary Monster Yup, basically that easy.

The questions get slightly more tricky is she has irregular periods, is significantly overweight or smokes.

Actually recently her last few periods have been irregular... is that a problem??? :confused:
  • Options
    seaweed wrote: »
    Actually recently her last few periods have been irregular... is that a problem??? :confused:

I don't know. I always used to have irregular periods, but when I went on the pill the appointment was still quick and easy, got prescribed the bog-standard Microgynon 30 etc. And since being on the pill I now always know when I'm going to come on. Bonus :thumb:
  • Options
    No, it's not necessarily a problem, they just may need to ask a afew more questions to rule out an underlying problem.
  • Options
    seaweed wrote: »

The great thing about the pill is that not only does it protect you from pregnancy, it sorts out irregular periods too. That was the primary reason I went on it all those years ago.
  • Options
    Just go to the GP tell them you want the pill, answer the questions truthfully (different pills suit different people) and you should get them.

Although I was orginally put on the pill for hormonal problems rather then contraception.

You should stop using condoms for a couple of months until your girlfriend gets used to using the pill and after you've both had an all clear STI test.
  • Options
    Sneaky feelings she means shouldn't stop using condoms for a few months.

Best way is to stick with using condoms until you're both happy the pill is working out, she'd been on it at least 6 weeks and you've both had clear STI tests. By doubling up the first 6 weeks it saves immense heart ache and worrying in the first break in the tablets as to whether she's pregnant or not.
  • Options
    thanks guys, really appreciate the advice, just so i know how do you get a sti check is that through a standard gp as well, however we dont really need one as we were both virgings when we met:D
  • Options
    nicolalou wrote: »
    The great thing about the pill is that not only does it protect you from pregnancy, it sorts out irregular periods too. That was the primary reason I went on it all those years ago.

my ex also used to take it because she had really painful periods and it sorted that out for her.
  • Options
    You should stop using condoms for a couple of months until your girlfriend gets used to using the pill and after you've both had an all clear STI test.

Do you not mean - shouldn't stop using condoms for a few months?
  • Options
    Usually thruogh the GUM clinic at the hospital. The GP will be able to tell you where though.
  • Options
    Scary Monster Usually thruogh the GUM clinic at the hospital. The GP will be able to tell you where though.
    #

thanks
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Do you not mean - shouldn't stop using condoms for a few months?

:yes: