Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New job - asking for leave

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is a bit of a hypothetical one...but could do with some advice.
I've applied for a new job, one which I really, really want. Now, it's jumping the gun somewhat, but IF I get an interview and IF I then get offered the post, I'm going to have a dilemma relating to annual leave. The problem is, my boyfriend and I have been making plans to go travelling for two months from the end of November. We're hopefully going to book it in the next week or so - it's something we've both wanted to do for ages. What I want to know is, when should I mention this to my (hypothetical) new employer? I'm worried that if I mention it when/if they offer me a job, they'll reconsider giving me the post because of this. I'm planning to ask to take six weeks of it or so as unpaid leave with maybe a couple of weeks taken as paid, normal annual leave. I know it's all dependent on my even getting an interview, but I'm panicking anyway. I really don't want to sacrifice our travelling plans but I also don't want to sabotage the one chance I could have at getting my dream job. Help!

Comments

• Options
    You're kind of stuck really, as if you do mention it at the interview then they may not give you the job, if you don't mention it, then i am doubtful that they would give you any unpaid time off.

Espcially see as you'll have only been there 3 months at most and then taking 2 months off!
  • Options
    if your new employer is like most employers they will not give you 6 weeks unpaid holiday when you have been working there only 2 months.

I know someone that wanted the same and had worked in her job for over 10 years and she was told she could do it but would have to reapply for her job and take the paycut if she had the time off.

thanks
    matt