Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How much will this cost to fix?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking at buying a ford ka, very reasonable price but it has two faults pointed out by the owner:
t is a KA3 which means you get Air Conditioning but this needs re-gassing, it has central locking but this seems to be playing up (common fault with KA’s apparently) so I disabled it by removing the fuse

Any idea how costly this will be to get repaired by a mechanic?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure but i would say it would be a substantial bit with the central lock in, also if it wasn't the much the now owner would have paid to have fixed already i reckon.
  • Options
    re-gassing will be best part of 100 quid from somewhere like kwik fit, maybe more.

central locking could be owt, if its electrical fault it could be costly.
  • Options
    if the aircon just needsgas you can do it yourself for about£25
  • Options
    Yes - sorting the Air-con is not expensive... Central locking not so important (if not inconvenient...). Shouldn't be much, but I would - just in case (and I am lazy :))
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kwikfit are doing a big push on aircon repairs at the moment for about fifty quid or nowt if they can't fix. The central locking is likely to be more expensive unless its covered under a warranty or recall work, having said that its hardly vital so not really a major issue.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Ka 2s and Ka 3s can suffer from corrosion of the door wiring loom connectors, leading to electric window and central locking failures. Cost of replacing the wiring can amount to £300 for parts plus up to a full day's labour.

Sounds like it could be dear.
    Tell the owner to get a quote for the work to fix the locks else stay away.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Why would you want to buy a car that you have to fix as soon as you buy it? :confused:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Why would you want to buy a car that you have to fix as soon as you buy it? :confused:

Er to get a good deal?

The ka is in good condition and is going for #625, however I have decided to steer clear. Thanks anyway
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    kangoo wrote: »
    Er to get a good deal?

It's only a good deal when you know exactly what's wrong with it and can get it fixed on the cheap.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Are you positive the ac just needs to be done like that? I thought that was the problem with my car once, it worked for maybe 2 days afterwards, but it ended up being something inside. (Descriptive and helpful, I know ;)) And the part itself cost several hundred.

Oh nevermind, I had missed your last post!
  • Options
    -kenny- wrote: »
    You should have asked a mechanic first before steering clear because you could have banked a bargain

I did. It would have been cost effective to fix unfortunatly there was other stuff wrong with it