Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New foot and mouth outbreak

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6930684.stm

Oh dear, hopefully they will learn from last time and nip it in the bud quickly.

Comments

• Options
    Oh dear. I remember hearing about itttt, bu don't know the issues. What was done wrong last time to what effect, and what should ideally be done this time to prevent a repeat?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Oh dear. I remember hearing about itttt, bu don't know the issues. What was done wrong last time to what effect, and what should ideally be done this time to prevent a repeat?

Take a leaf out the Dutch book and vacinate. If I remember right the Dutch had F&M at roughly the same time as us in 2001. Only difference was the Dutch vacinated and got the disease under control in a couple of weeks, where as the British made a right pigs ear of it, crippiling farmers for years.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/farming/features/foot_mouth_causes.shtml I did a search on BBC, and this explains the reasons why it spread so badly last time. There were a number of things, like farmers not admitting they had the disease, and then the animals being transported across the country unchecked. Defra didn't act quickly enough either.
  • Options
    So, if all the animals in surrey are now going to be culled, isn't that going to cause those farmers financial difficulty? Or do the animals have insurance or whatever?
  • Options
    Both katralla.

It certainly seems that the Govt is starting off better than last time. We'll have to wait and see if the farmer's acted well in the lead up...
  • Options
    My boyfriend lives on a dairy farm and they're already putting out disinfectant for shoes, vehicles etc. The farmers are stupid not to take precautions, because of that twat last time not admitting he had the disease and moving his livestock around the country, over 6million animals were slaughtered and the cost to the economy was in excess of £8billion.
  • Options
    And people still trust government, even though they fucked up the first foot and mouth crisis!

Look at the US, government can't even build bridges properly! Government sucks, really.
  • Options
    yawnjw7.jpg
  • Options
    ^ very funny, but after the flooding and everything else facing farming at the moment, this is the last thing they need.
  • Options
    Oh I'm not making fun of it. The Yawning Man was directed at something else altogether.
  • Options
    fair play.........?
  • Options
    What I never understood the first time round was, why was the Government so adamantly against vaccinating stock? Was there some sort of medical reason they couldn't go about this, or were they just being skinflints? Given how they handled this the last time, I am not confident that they can control it. So far, however, I can't complain about the reaction.
  • Options
    Gordon browns first few weeks in office, terrorists attacks, mass floods and now foot and mouth. what next i ask.

This is bad, but hopefully they will do their best to contain it. How it got there in the first place is worrying though.
  • Options
    I think that it turns out the strain of virus is identical to that of one found in a nearby lab, whose job it is to create vaccines!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6931639.stm
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    Gordon browns first few weeks in office, terrorists attacks, mass floods and now foot and mouth. what next i ask.

It could be Tonys' revenge :D
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »

I'm not quite sure you can blame him for any of them. It seems that either a government lab, or a lab which makes vaccines is responsible - either way its hardly good practice.