Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Uploading of Violent Video to Video sites?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just saw this Panorama episode about people that attack people and video it on their mobiles and then upload it to the likes of YouTube

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6920817.stm

Seems from the report like even though Google is prepared to pay $1.6 Billion for YouTube they don't employ a single employee to weed out video's where people have attacked others

What worries me are teenagers who go out on purpose to attack people so they can then film it on their mobiles and upload it to the web for a laugh or to see who gets the most hits on their video, etc.

Seems to go against Google's famous "Do no Evil" moto...

I for one would like to see the law changed to make uploading of such video's illegal and make sites like YouTube more responsible for their content

Comments

• Options
    Possession of it shouldn't be illegal.
  • Options
    I agree, I haven't read the article, bit I heard on the radio that youtube's only way of policing what videos are uploaded is to rely on users reporting the videos, which as a user I can hardly ever be bothered to do.

In principal it's great that the internet is so free, and anything can be uploaded. But in practice it's not practical, expecially with idiots who film violent attacks and post them.
  • Options
    What is really shocking is why arent any of the people committing the offence prosectud. Surely a video of them beating the shit out of someone posted on the interenet for ANYONE to see, including the police, makes pretty good evidence?
  • Options
    I'd have thought the quality of the video wouldn't be good enough to stand up in court. All the defendant would have to argue would be that there were other people there wearing similar clothing with similar hair cut or whatever.
  • Options
    I agree, I haven't read the article, bit I heard on the radio that youtube's only way of policing what videos are uploaded is to rely on users reporting the videos, which as a user I can hardly ever be bothered to do.

The people from the documentary actually tested this by flagging video's and in many cases YouTube had them still up days and days later.

They showed one police man who was contacting Google for details on people who posted video's showing attacks on people and Google would not comply unless the police had gone through the entire legal system to get warrants, etc.

The problem comes when people go out attacking others purely with a mind to upload it on the net - and knowing their identity is protected by the various websites doesn't discourage them.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Just saw this Panorama episode about people that attack people and video it on their mobiles and then upload it to the likes of YouTube

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6920817.stm

Seems from the report like even though Google is prepared to pay $1.6 Billion for YouTube they don't employ a single employee to weed out video's where people have attacked others

What worries me are teenagers who go out on purpose to attack people so they can then film it on their mobiles and upload it to the web for a laugh or to see who gets the most hits on their video, etc.

Seems to go against Google's famous "Do no Evil" moto...

I for one would like to see the law changed to make uploading of such video's illegal and make sites like YouTube more responsible for their content

recording already illegal acts, not for the sake of catching who done it is illegal already

it's like if u video a rape or murder distribute it is illegal already

google operate in china and follow chinese censorship which breaks their do no evil motto
  • Options
    OK well to test what's out there I went into YouTube and typed in "School Fight"

This was the very first video that came up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X1QPbO736w

Not even sure what to thing about it...

The kids involved are so young it's kinda sick to see a teacher getting them to fight ..
  • Options
    That video is so staged it's untrue. You can tell the teacher is standing there and slapping his thigh or something.

As for the school fights thing, using them evidentially is impossible when you consider the difficulty in even finding a victim, let alone the quality of the video itself.