Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Downloading music

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What site do people use for downloading music?

I used to use Limewire, but haven't used it for about a year now.
Is it really that bad for your computer - virus-wise? I'm not sure if I have virus protection software on my laptop so I don't want to mess it up - my last laptop had loads of problems which I think might have stemmed from all the music I downloaded.

Don't really want to download much - tend to buy most of my CDs now but I'm just interested in which ones people use.

Comments

• Options
    I use newsgroups and sometimes limewire for stuff i cant find
  • Options
    Generally TorrentSpy or Mininova.

Sometimes use DC++ for stuff I can't find.
  • Options
    Yes, the number of customers' machines I have to clean out with Limewire installed is phenomenal. I tend to tell people to avoid Limewire, Kazaa and Imesh. If they want to download music, I point them in the direction of Soulseek. Winmx was another good one although I believe that it has ceased now.

The other program I am really against is Incredimail. Whether it is spyware or not is still debatable but again, every machine I've seen with Incredimail loaded have had spyware/virus problems. I tell customers to avoid any freebie program that involves cursors, screensavers and smilies. If you know what you are looking for i.e. .CUR / .ANI files then you'll stand a much better chance in getting the real article rather than a virus.

If you're not sure whether you have/haven't got virus protection, then you'll need to find out a.s.a.p. Ask the person who set up the computer for you or whoever supplied it.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    If you're not sure whether you have/haven't got virus protection, then you'll need to find out a.s.a.p. Ask the person who set up the computer for you or whoever supplied it.

I bought the laptop from a friend a few years ago - not in contact with them anymore so can't ask - is there no way of finding out on through the laptop? If not, how much is virus protection software to buy?
  • Options
    Open 'start' and programs/all programs. You'll see the listing of most of the stuff that is installed. Look for anything like Norton, McAfee, AVG or Sophos. Seriously though, if you don't know whether you have one or not, chances are you don't have one. Even if you do, its subcription will have long expired.

New AV's are around £30 with 1 year's subscription. If you go for F-Secure, you can get 3 years with it.
  • Options
    Open 'start' and programs/all programs. You'll see the listing of most of the stuff that is installed. Look for anything like Norton, McAfee, AVG or Sophos. Seriously though, if you don't know whether you have one or not, chances are you don't have one. Even if you do, its subcription will have long expired.

New AV's are around £30 with 1 year's subscription. If you go for F-Secure, you can get 3 years with it.
    Or not, there is a great way for FREE virus protection

seriously, people who don't know bout virus protection shouldn't be allowed on the internet, you need 3/4 programs to protect your pc

Anti Virus

AVG free edition (get both Anti Virus and Anti Spyware)

http://www.free.grisoft.com/

Firewall

ZoneAlarm Basic

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=56pus&ctry=GB&lang=en

Anti Spyware

Windows defender

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Adware
    http://www.lavasoft.com/download_and_buy/product_comparison_chart.php?PHPSESSID=8ef7753f059ab4b4fb24271d4d65abff

You may also want to try Spyware Doctor although Isn't needed

Stay clear of all symantec, Mcaffee shit, pay us money to protect your computer, then do a lousey job at it.
  • Options
    I use limewire most of the time and i never have any problems with it mind u i dont really download songs that often
  • Options
    I only use Soulseek (well, and dodgy forums/blogs etc). It's pretty good for more obscure bands.
  • Options
    Yes, the number of customers' machines I have to clean out with Limewire installed is phenomenal.

Does Limewire have spyware? Or do you mean that you get viruses from dodgy downloads?

I have Limewire and am sensible about what I download. My PC is squeaky clean. I have had no issues with Limewire.
  • Options
    you only get problems with limewire etc when being a blind cunt and downloading .exe, .scr, .pif etc etc instead of .mp3

an mp3 file can't harm your computer, just be vigilant.. turn off 'hide known file type extensions' or whatever it is in folder options just to be sure .. doesnt take a genius to change the icon of a file!
  • Options
    Limewire or torrentz
  • Options
    Emule
  • Options
    Ares.
  • Options
    I've found Bearshare to be quite good. Simple to use, and *crosses fingers* not downloaded anything dodgy in the years I've been using it lol.

Great for downloading Lost :D
  • Options
    I use Frostwire and then Azureus for downloading games etc.
  • Options
    I used to use Kazarr or something then Winmx and then Limewire but that fucked my computer so at the moment, nothing !