Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Car Revs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would getting your car up to 6000-7000 revs do it damage? I mean regularly it probably would, but I really ragged my car tonight, the revs were through the roof, I didn't know it could go so fast in first gear!

Will it do any lasting damaged? :nervous: It's only a 1.2 fiesta.

Comments

• Options
    if it was just the once then it'd prob be fine ;)
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    if it was just the once then it'd prob be fine ;)

I hope so.

I was showing off the sound of my air filter to some of my guy mates in the street, and over did it slightly :o
  • Options
    haha when its off the limiter and starts goin 'bap bap baaaaaaap bap' you know you're pushin it a bit too hard .. sure as fuck sounds n feels good tho :chin:
  • Options
    Bloody chavs facesgsfdie9.gif
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    As long as it isn't regular abuse, then not significant in any way damage. Depends how long for, what temps it got up to, and what sorta condition the engine was in anyway. I wouldn't think so - the reason the limiter is there is to prevent that much damage happening anyway. You probably gave it a bit of a bashing, but it SHOULD be fine unless it had prior damage that this has made far worse. If you had a rally control unit in the car, you'd have no limiter and could go to 50,000 RPM and watch the head blast through the bonnet!!!

And if it's a 1.2 Fiesta, so what? They were practically designed to be ragged the shit out of. A replacement engine will probably be fuck all anyway if it's not that new :p Scapy, £50.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    And if it's a 1.2 Fiesta, so what? They were practically designed to be ragged the shit out of. A replacement engine will probably be fuck all anyway if it's not that new :p Scapy, £50.

plus labour!
  • Options
    As long as the engine was fully warmed, you won't have any issues.
  • Options
    Argh, new engine would not be good! I probs wouldn't be alive to drive it as my father would kill me. No it wasn't warmed, and I haven't driven it today yet. But it drove OK after, no funny noises.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Bloody chavs facesgsfdie9.gif

In an attempt to defend my chavvy behaviour, it was simply to prove to my guy mates that my car is in fact better than theirs. Though I don't think I'm cut out for the girl racer thing because now I'm worried I might have damaged it :lol:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    z- wrote: »
    plus labour!

Do it yerself!