Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

high cholerstoral

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just had some bloodwork done and I have high cholestoral. :( I exercise 3/4 times a week and I thought my diet was pretty good. I eat my fruits and veggies and I'm not a big red meat eater. But I'm not one to say no to the big unhealthy treat either. I know I can work on that, but is there anything else I can try? Any vitamins or supplements that might help or foods I should eat more of to help? According to websites the total and ldl are both in the "boarderline high", but very very close to "high risk" only 2 pts in ldl and 8 in total.

The doctor gave me the whole, say no to mayo, little red meats, exercise, all that jazz, but I already do that. :( I don't think its genetic. I don 'believe anybody in the family has or has had high cholestoral. Except for maybe my grandpa who apperantly drenched and fried everything in grease and put a layer of salt on everything :p

Is 22 and high cholestoral horrible?

I do drink a fair amount (though my kidney and liver functions are normal) can that cause cholestoral problems? I can't imagine it doing so, but what the hell do I know.

Comments

• Options
    british heart foundation info

manda my dad had high cholesterol and one of the things he had to cut out was alcohol, so it could be related. the sugar in the drink could be a problem too. the list of things my dad had to eat included oats and other fibre-rich things, so he has to eat porridge now and lots of fun things like that. also he has olive oil spread that claims to lower cholesterol. i think you eat quite a lot of sweets etc. and that certainly is no good.

i would say that at 22 it is a bit of a concern, so you should take action to sort things out. if a low fat diet and lots of exercise are not helping then there is medication you can have, but usually as a last resort. basically i would just try to be as healthy as you can possibly be, and cut back on the alcohol.
  • Options
    My mum has the same problem and has been told to cut out stuff like cheese.
  • Options
    Oh but I love cheese and liquer :(

Thanks for that website and your help! I didn't know fiber was good. Maybe I'll look into one of those powders you can add to food :p And I have no idea what you're talking about with alot of sweets :angel: ;)

Thanks for the help. I'd ask the doctor more, but I'm always terrible on the phone and forget, plus I'd probably start bawling on the phone if she got into too much detail of what I shouldn't do!
  • Options
    High fibre is supposed to be good, but with an otherwise healthy diet I wouldn't have thought you needed to go as far as adding those powders. Things like that are aimed at people who for some reason or other can't get enough fibre into their diet in a normal way. It would be far better to up the fibre by eating more wholewheat and fruit and veg.

Some people have high cholesterol due to genetic factors, there's not a lot they can do about it other than be extra careful and make sure they do everything else right. Low alcohol, high fibre and I believe oily fish.
  • Options
    I have high chlorestrol, it was at 8 but now it's at 6 but I'm just starting to take Simvastatin tablets to lower it. I could never give up mayo though :heart: