Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Holiday First Aid Kit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm making up a first aid kit for when we go on holiday, seeing as I can't afford to buy one and I can be quite accident prone...

Just wondering what people would suggest might be useful? I obviously have a little basic list, but there's bound to be something I haven't thought of, or someone with tips so just thought I'd ask :)

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Well I guess it depends where you're going, but insect repellant and
    diarrhoea tablets might be useful.
  • Options
    Antiseptic wipes & cream
    Platers/surgical tape
    Menolin (if you don't take plasters)
    Safety pins
    Bandages

You may also want to take those travel sickness tablets if you're one of those people who gets sick whilst travelling.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Menolin (if you don't take plasters)

I may be totally dim here...but I've seen that mentioned when googling things as well.... what on earth is it? Do I just use a different name for it or am I just thick haha.

I'm going to Corfu so insect repellent is a definete heehee, just need to buy some.
  • Options
    It's a white padding type thing that people (well, me personally) puts under surgical tape so that blood doesn't go through the tape. You can also buy menolin pads with the sticky plaster stuff as well.
  • Options
    Menolin is a dressing material. They usually sell it in Boots/Superdrug with the First Aid stuff. You can get just the pad, or the pad surrounded by a sticky bit. If you've ever seen anyone with those palm sized white plaster type things, thats it.

It's good for things like big grazes where plasters aren't big enough, but probably not a must have for a ordinary type holiday.

Insect bite cream
    Aftersun
    Compeed (Blister plasters - own brand are usually as good) well worth having, and soo much better than plasters.
    Ibuprofen/Aspirin
    Elastic bandage (If you know what to do with it, for twists and light sprains/strains)

A good general rule is the stuff you have at home, that you use from time to time.
  • Options
    M
    Elastic bandage (If you know what to do with it, for twists and light sprains/strains)

You mean a tubirgrip? They're much better than bandages that need to be held together with safety. (I keep losing the pins and have stabbed myself many times trying to close the pins:blush: )
  • Options
    You can get cheapie first aid kits from pound shops, they have some cheap ones in in home bargains atm.

Also take some dihreoea (i know thats spelt wrong!!) relief tablets in case you get an upset tummy
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Well I guess it depends where you're going, but insect repellant and
    diarrhoea tablets might be useful.

Insect repellent if your like me and get bitten constantly. I took diarrhoea tablets with me when I went travelling but didnt need them. Take the painkillers you use most often as they can be hard to get hold of in some countries. Plasters/Antiseptic wipes/aftersun/safty pins etc. Take a look at the kits you can get in boots/superdrug and will give you a rough idea of what you need.
  • Options
    Nope I meant elastic bandage.

Tubi grips are only any good if you have the right size for what you need, and that will be different for your elbow, knee, wrist and ankle, so unless you fancy taking 4 the elastic bandage is a much better bet.

Most of them come with elastic clip things for fastening them, or you can use tape, or get the self sticking ones if you can't manage the saftey pins.
  • Options
    Menolin is Melolin
  • Options
    Andrews liver salts for "the morning after"...
  • Options
    A bottle of wee in case you get stung by a jellyfish.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    A bottle of wee in case you get stung by a jellyfish.

chuckle. otherwise known as a bladder, no?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    chuckle. otherwise known as a bladder, no?

Nah... You know how the stories goes. You pee in the sea and then a jellyfish stings you. It's never when the bladder's full.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Nah... You know how the stories goes. You pee in the sea and then a jellyfish stings you. It's never when the bladder's full.

The urine & jellyfish is supposedly just a myth...