Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cleaning jewelry

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a white gold ring with a pink cubic zirconia stone, it's looking a bit dull and I was wondering how I could clean it myself without having to send it to the jewelers?

Comments

• Options
    Dobbin has just given some good advice on the Engagement Ring thread in Anything Goes...

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showpost.php?p=2020627&postcount=7
  • Options
    yeah hot water with a little soap in it will do the trick, but be careful that you don't end up with scum under the setting of the ring because if you don't rinse it properly the soap will settle under there.

personally i'd take it to a jewellers (says she whose fella owns a jewellery shop....) because they ought to be able to pop it through the ultrasonic or use the polishing machine and have it done within half an hour. That way you can be sure that it's done properly.

However the only other thing is, if you've had it a while, the rhodium plating might be coming off the white gold. It's the rhodium which makes it that brilliant white colour so if it's getting duller or even a yellowish tinge you may need to look into getting it re-plated. Which costs about £15-25.

So I'd try cleaning it first!
  • Options
    I usually do it with dentifrice powder