Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Whats the best ISA?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got a grand to put away somewhere, so far I've kept it in a web savings account which is all very nice but I'm now thinking it may be slightly better off in a mini cash isa? If so, which ones are the best? With any luck I wouldn't need to touch it for 12 months, but there's a chance I may have to. But it's unlikely there will be lots of money going in and out a lot, I have money in three accounts atm (barclays current, Halifax current and websaver), so with two current accounts unless I seriously get in trouble (unlikely at the moment *touch wood*) I want somewhere to put the money away so I can earn £50 interest or whatever in a years time.

But it's all a bit confusing really, so if someones done the hard work recently anyway could just say which one is pretty good and better than a websavings account with interest at 5.05% then I'll switch :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    A difficult question then? :p
  • Options
    Check out this article. It'll give you all the best deals around at the moment. And don't bother putting it in anything linked to the stock market atm, because some guy on TV said so.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    And don't bother putting it in anything linked to the stock market atm, because some guy on TV said so.

Top class advice :p
  • Options
    I suggest you put it in a R.I.T.A. Rubberskin's Investment Tailored Account.

I'll gladly take your initial deposit and hold your interest, you can withdraw at anytime and I gaurantee you a large endowment (courtesy of 'donkey' Dave) or you can just fuck me stupid over the foreign currency counter for a fiver :p
  • Options
    TBF you're a student so don't need to pay tax on your savings if you fill in a form (can't remember which one). Some of the savings account these days have higher interest rates than the ISA's around so might be worth looking into.

ING direct have an ISA giving 6.55% with instant access which I think is about the best on the market at the moment.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    TBF you're a student so don't need to pay tax on your savings if you fill in a form (can't remember which one). Some of the savings account these days have higher interest rates than the ISA's around so might be worth looking into.

If you want tax free intrest paid you need to fill an R85 in (banks & building society should have them in branch) HMRC Advice

An ISA is better though, because when you stop being a student you keep the tax free status.